tips for moving LO onto a beaker,if there is any lol

zachariahelijahmalakaimum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:14 am 
Post subject: tips for moving LO onto a beaker,if there is any lol
I am really struggling to get my LO to start using a beaker for his juice, he doesnt seem to understand he needs to suck to get it out, he is fine with his bottles as it dribbles out for him without much effort but i want to get him on his beaker now......any ideas hw i cn help him get use to it??

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:27 am 
Post subject:
Why don't you use the tommy tippee freeflow ones? That's what we started with. Then the liquid just flows out so he won't have to suck in the same way

Katie88
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:28 am 
Post subject:
Were told only to use free flow ones son they dont habe to suck for it to come out, like those tommee tippee do at 4m+, my LO is still using it at 2. The ones with a valve are supposed to be more damaging for their mouth and teeth x
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:43 am 
Post subject:
Basically I couldn't!! My LO never used a beaker, she just would not suck from anything other than a bottle from about 13/14 months on I held a cup for her with a straw in it and she learnt to suck on the straw so for cold drinks I just did that until she was able to hold the cup herself. I was fed up cleaning up the spillages so ended up buying a plastic bottle cup type thing that had a straw built into it so when she dropped it I'd have a little splash were some of the liquid came out the straw but nothing like the mess I was getting when she was knocking the beaker off her little table!

Shes brilliant at drinking out of cups now and we dont use the straw anymore (unless she insists on having one ha!).

xx
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 am 
Post subject:
I have gt him a tomee tippee one that is a 7 months one with the flip down lid , cnt remeber if it a free flow tho

EmzyLouPlusThree
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:01 am 
Post subject:
yeah def get a freeflow beaker and try a few dif brands and types , the straw ones are good, my kids found the standard cheapest ones the easiest Smile oh and keep offering every day untill lo gets the hang of it xx
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:17 am 
Post subject:
Definitely use freeflow. Not only is it easier for them to understand, its better for their teeth. Anything that requires a sucking action isn't recommended now.

Also a bit of perseverance is needed. It felt like ages of trying before my 2 finally got the hang of it x

zachariahelijahmalakaimum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:58 am 
Post subject:
I keep tryin him wiv it i have found the leaflet to it nw it a tommee tippee easiflow one so hope get it soon

EmzyLouPlusThree
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:16 pm 
Post subject:
easiflow isn't free flow, try something really simple like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippee-First-Cup-Cyan/dp/B002C1ATCY/ref=pd_sim_by_1 xx
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:35 pm 
Post subject:
Yes the link emzy put up is the one you need from weaning to them holding a normal beaker for themselves x
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:42 pm 
Post subject:
The tompee tippee freeflow 4m+ ones are great - my son uses one and has pretty much got the hang of it - I have to hold it as he lacks that co-ordination (but he is only 20 weeks old!) but he 'sucks' from it properly (that is - he drinks when the liquid flows). They are cheapest I think in Tesco... Mothercare have them but for 29p more! Very Happy LOL! (naturally I discovered this AFTER I had bought mine in Mothercare... I'll be going to Tesco next time!) Very Happy xxx

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:14 pm 
Post subject:
zachariahsmummy wrote:
I keep tryin him wiv it i have found the leaflet to it nw it a tommee tippee easiflow one so hope get it soon

No easiflow is one that require a sucking action like a bottle so thats not ideal. The one in the link already posted is ideal. You can also get ones that are cheaper than that (and better in my opinion as they are easier to keep clean) that have a dark blue cup and a green lid. I got mines free from the clinic but i saw them in tesco for like a £1!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular