Toddler smacking Mummy

hungrymum
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:38 pm 
Post subject: Toddler smacking Mummy
Dear all
My toddler is almost 2 and a half and I'm finding myself telling him over and over and over not to smack me. I've never smacked him so he certainly isn't copying. He does it when he's cross or frustrated or if he's hurt himself. I totally understand why he does it but I'm not sure what I should be doing about it. I've tried calm, I've tried cross, I've tried shouting and I've tried pretending to cry (which really upsets him). I've tried time out and the naughty step. Nothing works.

I've used all sorts of different ways of telling him no/naughty/that hurts etc etc. He understands most of what I say but he's not using sentences yet so I know alot of it is due to him being so frustrated. It's only really me that he does it to, I've never seen him do it to anyone else.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions etc if anyone has the same experiences.
thanks
Sarah x
LucyandLewismum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:45 am 
Post subject:
Hiya hun,

Lucy does this very very occasionally exactly like your lo, when she is an absolute temper. The only think I find that works with Lucy is going into supernanny mode I have to get down to her level and make her give me eye contact and then drop the tone of my voice and then tell her off because if I start shouting she doesn't listen but then I have to walk away to calm down then I make her apologise but before she could apologise we used to say cuddle and that is the end of it.

We do naughty step at home as well which works most of the time. I hope you find something that works xxx

michelletv
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:11 pm 
Post subject:
If anyone finds a solution, please let me know. my daughter is not in the habit of hitting, but when she does, then i say NO in a firm voice. it helps sometimes. but i think its something they outgrow over time. Maybe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular