Pregnancy after 4th degree tear?

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:31 pm 
Post subject: Pregnancy after 4th degree tear?
Just wondering if anyone else has had a 4th degree tear for a start?!
And if so - have you been pregnant again?

I had our beautiful son 4 weeks ago and had a fourth degree tear - or as my husband called it 'a vaganus' Very Happy I laugh now because a) I still have a gorgeous son after it and that is what mattered to me and b) the feeling down there is totally shot to pieces and I've had no pain with it at all... despite the 80+ stitches required to put me back together!

Anyway - the consultant who sorted me out in theatre came to talk to me the following day when my husband wasn't there as he wanted to discuss future babies... and said that basically the next one would have to be delivered by c-section and early because a) they can't risk me going into early labour again (I was 2 weeks early with Samuel) and b) the pelvic floor won't take carrying a full-term baby... so fine...

But we are quite seriously thinking of getting pregnant again in the next few months - so I am after any sucess stories? Or even just stories so I know what to expect?!

I'm so lucky - despite all the warnings of incontinence and problems with 'down there' I've got complete control of all my faculties and am able to now feel my pelvic floor to do the exercises (that took 4 weeks to return)... and I can now feel also when I need to pee - sounds strange - but at first, even though I never had any accidents- I couldn't feel the need to go - so I would get to 4-5 hours and then think 'hmm, haven't pee'd in a while' and go and it'd be a waterfall! Had to train myself to go every 2 hours - but now I can feel a full bladder again which is good!

We haven't yet resumed maritals - though I think we could - I certainly feel ready, just too tired at night! Very Happy I think DH would rather wait until I've had my 6 week check (with the consultant at the hospital) but from there - we're not planning to use any contraception and would love to be pregnant again by Autumn... I'm just wondering if anyone has done something similar after a 3rd or 4th degree tear and how they got on?

At my 6 week check I do plan to ask about all this too - as the guy said I would need consultant care for our next pregnancy so I shall just ask him to be on standby for a call as we're planning number two already... but I know the AskBaby ladies are a wealth of knowledge too! Smile
xxx

Kimmy0908
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:51 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun - I was lucky in comparison and only suffered a second degree tear. However, my Step-Mum suffered a fourth degree tear with her first child. I think she had 92 stitches? It took almost a year for her to regain full control of her bladder and bowels so it's fab that you're not having problems in that department! Very Happy
She was also told future babies would have to be born by c-section and a bit early, and that she would have to have consultant care during the pregnancies.

Well, six years later, she gave birth to her second child vaginally (against medical advice though) at just over 38 weeks. The birth in comparison was a dream, with only a slight graze and no repair work. The baby was happy and healthy. Three and a half years after that, she gave birth to my little sister, her final baby, at 40+1, again vaginally, this time with the doctors approval. It was her quickest labour and again no repair work.
I realise that's a much much bigger gap than you are talking about but I thought I'd comment anyway as she was told she would need c-sections with both her daughters and they were both delivered naturally (weighing 7lbs 2oz and 8lbs 8oz respectively) without any problems either during pregnancy or delivery.

Sorry to ramble, I hope you have a speedy recovery and congrats on the birth of your baby!! Smile xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:22 am 
Post subject:
Not had a tear there myself but have had c sections and to be honest I think once you've healed then you've healed as simple as , and generally most healing is done in the first six weeks with the first 3 months getting things back to a reasonable strength and then gradually you start to feel normal again over time, i wouls definately get a second opinion because I don't think you can make sweeping statements like it would have to be a c section, or your pelvic floor won't tae the strain because everyone heals differently and it sounds like you're doing brilliantly already Smile It's not that long since they said once a section always a section, in fact when they first did them they told women not to conceive again because their womb wouldn't take the strain Rolling Eyes
is it the same consultant you're going to see ? If you see someone else they might have a completely different opinion Question
i know a lot of people who've had tears or cuts with their first though and had their second with no problems, I know yours was an extreme form of tear but if the midwives know that then they can slow down the delivery next time , use perineal pressure as the head delivers , even a water birth is supposed to lower the risk of tears Question
If you're aiming to get pregnant by autumn then you're looking at summer next year anyway for your next by which time it will have been over a year and you will probably have a much better idea by then of how well you've healed as it tends to be scar tissue they're worried about as it doesn't stretch quite the same, having had 2 labours after sections though and being told oh you should have another section as your womb may rupture (the first time ) i know i never had any sign of problems from that scar even through all the contractions etc. Question I think our bodies are tougher than we sometimes give them credit for Laughing have you had a look for support groups online ? i bet there will be some and they may have more first hand experiences xx
pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:30 am 
Post subject:
I had a third degree tear with my son which was really painful and sore for weeks and although I had bladder and bowel control it took ages for me to 'feel' my pelvic floor muscles working after that. I had a consultant appointment after 12 weeks and he said then next time either have a section or a girl because their heads are smaller Laughing

This time round I didn't know I was having a girl but was never offered the option of a section. I had a girl and had a second degree tear which was fine, no pain or problems with it at all. There is 21 months between my two though so don't know if waiting longer helped it to heal better? The thought of getting pregnant straight away would terrify me! Good luck x

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:14 am 
Post subject:
Wow - thank you for the stories ladies!!! It's really great to hear from people with advice and similar situations or tales to tell - and I shall certainly remain positive and hope to have an open-minded consultant for next time around who is at least willing to consider the possibilities!!! Smile

Thanks again for reading and replying!!!
xxx

whyheather
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:07 pm 
Post subject: How ar you feeling?
I just had a 4th degree tear i do not feel that bad. i can sit i can go pee poo is a little hard. I just wanted to kow how you are feelinh and what you did to heal so fast. thank you
fifitrixibelle
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:22 pm 
Post subject:
i had 3rd degree tearing with my first inside and out and had lots of stitches, they never specified how many, and it took 4 months for oh and i to do the deed as it was very numb and sore down there. I had maria a year ago with no problems whatsoever, (had some internal stitches due to her being born back to back and 'catching' me with her hands/nails on exit! Laughing I would agree with nat, i think once youre healed youre healed but in that regard I would definitely be giving yourself at least 6 months before falling pregnant again. Not only will that allow you to heal fully below but will give you time for all the hormones to ease as its very easy to want to have another baby so soon after delivery as its such an amazing experience but the reality is its very hard work and you could change your mind in a few short months of sleepless nights etc. Laughing im not trying to tell you off or what to do by the way, just some advice as Id have done it straight away after maria, and i did fall pregnant when she was 5 months old but unfortunately i miscarried at 13 weeks and i believe it was because my body just wasnt ready to go through another pregnancy. xxxxxx

whyheather2
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:52 pm 
Post subject: hello
Sorry i signed up as whyheather and it wont let me log in so now i have a whyheather. One agian please any infor you can give me about you healing from a 4th degree tear would help me alot. I can pee fine. how was it when you had to poop. I am on lax. How long did you have to take them before you could go poop and not worry you said you were not in much pain either am i i am on pain meds. I was still take my dogs out and everythng and clean the house a little were you able to do that when you had your tear? or did you take it very easy and rest. its not even been a week but i feel okay idk. i am scared abd sad about it ever day and not sure what to do. i am worried something bad will happen and i keep praying it wont. please any inut would help. thank you
XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:31 am 
Post subject:
Hi Hun, when I went for for my 12 week scan, and had a consultation after. The MW asked about the birth with noah and i said i was not sure whether i had a 3rd degree tear. She then said if i did i would more than likely be offered to have an elective c section and i would be under a consultant at the hospital instead of MW at my doctors. Luckly i only had a 2nd degree as i didnt fancy going to the hospital for all my appointments, its a pain as it is pmsl.

Char

My beautiful little men filling up my world x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Pregnancy Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular