Help with Chinese names

lysianassa
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:21 pm 
Post subject: Help with Chinese names
As many of you know, my OH is Chinese so we are having a mixed raced little girl in December. Her English (or Greek, rather) name is going to Naia and then Judy as her English middle name, so will be called Naia Judy. However, I'm trying to think of what we could have for her Chinese name. In China, the meaning of the name is quite important so I'm trying to think of special type names. But I'm trying to get a water theme as Naia means 'water nymph' in Greek, so something wintery and water based.

What do you think?

XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
So will she have 3 names?

Char

My beautiful little men filling up my world x
lysianassa
Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
lol yes, lots of name: Nai Judy (insert Chinese name) Slayford-Wei.

My son's full name is Sebastian Craig Jia Hong Slayford-Wei

My poor babies Laughing

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:04 pm 
Post subject:
LOL! Having spoken with you Lian about names and what you said about choosing a meaning and then translating into a Chinese name... I am going to steal the idea if that is ok? Only because MIL chose Samuel's Chinese name, so for the next one I would like my mum to chose the Chinese name, but as she doesn't know any Chinese, I shall get her to choose a meaning and then will find out the Chinese for it! Smile That way they both get to be a part of name choosing! Smile
Did you find out the Chinese name you are going to have for Naia in the end? The meaning was beautiful Smile
xxx

lysianassa
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:09 pm 
Post subject:
Hey May, go for it. I've finally decided to go with Snow White Lotus Flower which in Mandarin will be Xue Lian. So that means both Sebastian and Naia will have both mummy's and daddy's names respectively in theirs, I thought it was quite nice.

I take it you will do yours in Cantonese rather than Mandarin? Do you have an idea of what you want the name to mean?

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:24 pm 
Post subject:
That is so lovely that Lian is a part of that name! *awwww* Smile

I don't know what Mum will choose - still have to run the idea past DH first - but can't see how he can say no... afterall - his Mum chose Samuel's middle name.

Knowing my Mum, and especially if it is a girl Dumpling, it will be flower-based. I would guess something along the lines of blue moon (after her favourite rose) or I would be tempted to chose something that reflects my mum, like Swan White (you'll never believe, but this was my Mum's maiden name) or Swan Rose (her first and middle names). Maybe I'll ask MIL what those would be in cantonese and see how they sound, then decide whether to stick there or ask mum for a meaning to be translated...

Smile
xxx

lysianassa
Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:35 pm 
Post subject:
I love Blue Moon - be interesting to see what all they would be in Cantonese and then see which you prefer the sound of in OH's native tongue. Kai was saying that these kind of names, names based on flowers etc, are the equivilent to what our parents would have been called, so basically we're giving our children, although very pretty names, old fashioned names which aren't old enough to be fashionable Laughing

Mind you, you'd better have a boy's name ready just in case but I'm sure you're going to copy me and have a little girl Laughing

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:05 am 
Post subject:
LOL! The kids won't know that they're not fashionable! And by the time they're older - perhaps they'll be back in fashion anyway! Very Happy LOL! Haha! I think we will have to have a boy's name ready too - just in cases... but a non-flowery Chinese boy's name may be hard! May have to think carefully about that one!

I would ask MIL about the names but after the fuss she made when I was pregnant with Samuel I'm hoping to not tell her until I'm due - heck - if I could get away with it I wouldn't tell her til Dumpling was 5 years old. She was so fussy and overbaring - I'm already stressing about it... just going to have to put my foot down and tell her that coming round every night at 8pm and demanding I drink vile soup isn't going to happen again. But yes - the upshot is - we're not telling her until at least 12 weeks - much longer if I can get away with it... so will have to wait to find out the Chinese names and what they sound like - can't even ask DH as his cantonese is atrocious! Smile

x

lysianassa
Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:33 pm 
Post subject:
Not very Chinese is it, not being able to speak his own language Laughing If you'd like, I have a half Chinese friend (opposite to what our little boys are) and she speaks Cantonese so I can get her to translate the names you've thought of into Cantonese and I can tell you what they sound like when I next see you - I'll do it in Mandarin as well but I prefer the sound of Cantonese myself lol. We're hoping to come down to your way in a couple of weeks so I can bring the other stuff for you.

MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:46 pm 
Post subject:
Smile That sounds amazing - thank you hun! Smile
Sadly I think I had a chemical pregnancy as I lost the 'pregnant feeling' and when AF was due I tested negative -and again today at 3 days late. AF is being a real witch and keeping me waiting... but I am just waiting now on her before we can try again next month. Ah well... pick up and carry on.

Let me know when you are in Salisbury next and we shall have to meet up, come round for dinner etc Smile
The weekend of the 15th is pretty busy - we're at a wedding on the saturday and a christening on the sunday - but other weekends in September seem quite free Smile
x

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular