Diet control driving me crazy!

Woodles
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:02 pm 
Post subject: Diet control driving me crazy!
My LO's Lactose Intolerance is driving me mad! It's at a point that it's inducing huge stress on me!
We've got a dietician and lists and lists of lactose free food from the super markets, he's at a stage where he is full on refusing to eat off a spoon or fork, it's drastically reduced what he will and will not eat! I'm really struggling to get him the calcium he needs! He's a really fussy eater as it is, most of the time he wont eat what we give him. He's at a point where his evening meal is some form of potato (chips, waffles etc.) with scampi, fish fingers or some variation of chicken. He's stopped eating sandwiches all together too.
The dietician says if he doesn't eat it, he goes hungry. I agree with that but my partner is horrified at the thought of him going hungry (and the 3-5am wake up for a bottle because of it).
We're to try him with soy/lactose, then if he has a reactions, try again in 3 months. And low and behold every three months we're met with the same horrible symptoms. Foul smelling, green, slimy nappies, night and day of crying and not eating. He'll struggle for a whole day to fill a nappy and when he does he's in tears from the pain. When i've mentioned it she's said to just keep trying and try to lower the amount he has.
What hasn't been explained to me is, what damage is this going to be doing to his insides, if any? How is this helping his intolerance? Is his body going to one day create the enzymes to break it down or is the attempts at digesting it helping his body?
Arghh, i don't know if this makes any sense. I'm going stir crazy. Every day is a challenge at the minute and driving me insane. What if he ends up been intolerant for the rest of his life, god knows if i could cope with that!
Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:46 pm 
Post subject:
I can sympathise with you totally, we are going through exactly the same thing, he's also having tests for other stuff but I'm hoping it's the dairy intolerance on it's own, it seems the easiest to deal with rather than intolerance to wheat or nuts etc. children can develop a tolerance to dairy again, we did it once but it has flared up again big time, you introduce dairy very slowly back into the diet and they become used to it again, we started with half a fromage frais per day, building up very slowly a week at a time then using margarine again etc on toast, but very very slowly. x
Woodles
Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:36 pm 
Post subject:
He's been this way since birth, he was a terrible baby because of it and we didn't realise until 3 months of forcing the stuff down him that it was the lactose. Myself & my 2 brothers were lactose intolerant up until about the age of 2. As LO is 2 in October & just as intolerant now as he originally was i'm worrying it'll be like this forever. I know every child is different but from what i've been told 2 is a general age for them to begin growing out of it.
He can withstand small quantities of lactose, from biscuits & pastries etc.. but the end of last week he had 2 chicken dippers with lactose and the world has turned upside down.
Trying him with a little every so often isn't working for us and i'm fed up of seeing him in pain from it.
The Dietician seemed to know what she was talking about until she suggested giving him a beaker of cows milk a day. Really infuriated me after i'd clearly stated how severe his reaction can be.
It's bizzare because he's fine with marg on his toast, he's fine eating cheese crisps. According to our 'diet plan' he's at stage 3 (Cooked cheese on shepherds pie, lasagne etc..) but those 2 items are stage 5 along with uncooked cheese!
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:55 am 
Post subject:
i dotn know if it helps but swwet potato is a good source of non dairy calcium, i make my LO (Kieran) sweet potato chips and he loves those (Milk protein allergy) x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular