Is he taking too much milk for an almost nine month baby?

KathG
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:59 pm 
Post subject: Is he taking too much milk for an almost nine month baby?
Just wondering how much milk your LO take, sometimes I worry that our LO is over fed. He is bottle fed and still on three bottles a day. At what age did your LO go down to two? On a typical day he has -

breakfast - bowl of porridge. Fruit puree. yogurt.
mid morning - 8oz bottle formula
Lunch - toast and banana, cheesey mash, pasta/fish with cheese sauce, soup
snacks - rice cake/ few organix crisps bread stick
Dinner - something similar to lunch
evening just before bed - 8oz bottle formula
nighttime just before I go to bed - 8oz dream feed

If I dont give him the dream feed he will waken in the night and be looking for milk, but I am thinking at this age he should be able to go through with out needing a top up feed. Is it too much to expect 11 or 12 hour solid sleep with no feed at this age. He is on three meals a day and taking solids well. He was weighed on thursday and is 21lbs.

Sorry for long post, thanks for any advice/ info.

[/url]
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:50 am 
Post subject:
my daughter used to have

8oz bottle on waking
breakfast
mid morning snack
lunch
afternoon snack
tea
8oz bottle before bed

what time does he have his evening meal? and bedtime bottle? could you give him some porridge before bed aswell to fill him up more?

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 am 
Post subject:
Actually the average age for a baby not to need a night time feed is 1. Some babies do it earlier some do it later. We only stopped Alex's in the nightfeed about 6 weeks ago and he is 14 months on the 1st.

The way to tell is if you baby guzzles it down really quick and then goes straight back to sleep they are hungry, if they mess around and take ages to drink it, likely they doing it for comfort and not for hunger.

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:34 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

I stopped offering Oliver milk in the night from 6 months old. When he woke in the night I offered him cooled boiled water. He didn't wake in the night again for a feed after that as there was nothing to wake for.

Max is 5 months and he wakes a maximum of twice now mainly once though but once he is 6 months I'll do the same with him.

Most babies/toddlers will not overeat unless you are giving him 'bad food' which you are clearly not so don't worry about what he eats on a normal day.

Terri xx

shootingstars
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:38 pm 
Post subject:
24oz is meant to be the minimum amount upto one yr then 24oz after. As once on cows milk to much of ot can reduce the iron build up in their body and they become anemic

shootingstars
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:40 pm 
Post subject:
24oz is meant to be the minimum amount upto one yr then 24oz after. As once on cows milk to much of ot can reduce the iron build up in their body and they become anemic

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:27 pm 
Post subject:
George is breastfed so don't know the amount of milk but this is what he has;

8am - Breastfeed
9am - Breakfast
11am - Snack
1.30pm - Lunch
4.00pm - Breastfeed
6.30pm - Dinner
7.45pm - Breastfeed

He doesn't wake in the night for a feed. I tried to avoid feeding in the night once his weaning was well established. Perhaps you could give him an afternoon bottle and bedtime one to see how he goes.
Posted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:52 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for all the advice ladies. He takes it fast and goes straight back to sleep afterwards so I am assuming its real hunger. Will wait til he is a year then maybe try offering it in the afternoon if he is still not down to two bottles a day by then. Very Happy Exclamation

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular