OCD

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:32 pm 
Post subject: OCD
im probably being paranoid, but i think Sam is getting OCD.

we have been at a party today and she organised all the fridge magnets into colour groups, and she did the same with some m&ms the other day.

she is also obsessed with things matching, if she has an apricot yoghurt she has to use an orange spoon, if its strawberry or raspberry its a pink spoon.

her dads other daughter had OCD as a kid, and was really bad and was on medication, and iv heard that mental health problems can run in the family.

jennaxhx
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:47 pm 
Post subject:
It could be, but it could be something she'll outgrow. I would just keep an eye on it, don't encourage her. Maybe if she insists on some things, try to persuade her that it doesn't have to be a certain order or certain spoon with a certain flavour, etc. My two did have a phase a while back where they each only wanted a certain type of cup. I remember i tried to give Liam the blue cup and Craig the turqoise one and they both went absolutely mental til i switched them lol but i kept just saying that its the same in both cups and they grew out of it within a few weeks x

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:15 am 
Post subject:
Hi. I've read in a number of books that toddlers go through phases of wanting just orange food for dinner, or else everything must be red...
Perhaps it is just that and it will pass. Smile xxx

dizzylamb
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:46 pm 
Post subject:
I think it's pretty normal, Amy goes through little phases like that, her plate, fork and spoon all have to match and she does the same as Sam with her yogurts, pink spoon for strawberry, orange for Apricot. She also organises the yogurts in the fridge, they can't stay in the packs of 6, she has to separate them all then group them into flavours. I put it down to her learning that things match/are different etc and she is just practicing what she is learning.
She also went through a cleaning phase, if she dropped a tiny bit of dinner on the table it had to be wiped up before she could finish her meal, she grew out of it though Very Happy
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:49 pm 
Post subject:
OCD does run in families and I'm pretty sure its more commonly passed through females. My mum has it and my sister and I both do also. That said its only passed down that you are more predisposed to having/getting it so it's not set in stone. Ive had it since I was a child and it's often more internalised e.g. In thoughts than coming out in rituals, organising and cleaning etc. Keep an eye on the things that she says and see if she speaks about having any thoughts that distress her, my OCD has always took the forms of thoughts I can't control such as people dying or coming to harm if I don't do or think something for instance and I remember that from as far back as I can think. If she has OCD she's going to be having some sort of thought process going as the organising and stuff comes from somewhere but at her age I can imagine it'd be hard to gettin out of her. OCD can be a really crappy thing to have but it doesnt mean you have to be on medication (I'm not but planning on going back on it soon as its been getting really bad lately) as there are lots of things that an help like cbt. At least if she does have it you know what it is and having somebody who knows and understand is the main thing. I think my kids will probably have OCD and I have noticed Kieran has a tendency towards behaviour that I recognise in myself but it's not the end of the world and as I said at least I know the facts and they won't have to go through it on their own.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular