Night Terrors/Bad Dreams??

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:01 am 
Post subject: Night Terrors/Bad Dreams??
Anyone know the difference and/or had any experience of it?

My LO has been really suffering lately, waking up in the middle of the night screaming and taking ages to settle. Sometimes she's still half asleep and dreaming when I go into her so it takes longer for me to calm her down.

Last night she woke me and the OH up at 2am and I swear you'd think she was being eaten alive, she was screaming and crying hysterically and when I finally got her to calm down she was really shaken and upset and sobbing quietly....its so upsetting seeing her so scared Crying or Very sad

It normally happens once a night but on a couple of occasions it has been 2 or 3 times. She does settle back down to sleep once we've sorted her out with a little sip of water and a cuddle and in the morning seems happy as larry and doesnt appear to remember the dream but does remember that mummy or daddy where in the room with her through the night.

Will she out-grow this, is it just a little phase? Its been happening for about 3 months now, not every night but a good 3 or 4 nights a week. I've looked on the internet and it says it s normally over-tired children that have these terrors so I moved her bedtime half an hour earlier and it doesnt seem to have helped! I know shes not in any danger and that its just a dream but does anyone know if this is gonna last and last. We're getting up for work shattered after being up through the night and its also horrible being woken up by your baby screaming hysterically Crying or Very sad

xx
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 pm 
Post subject:
Mmmm I never found out what triggered my daughters and we had this from age 3 till 11!!! She only has the odd one now at 12 but I definitely think lack of sleep at night and being overtired for the next night was a trigger as she is and still is a bad sleeper.
I can't offer any advice as everything I tried did not work but just letting you know that your daughter isn't the only one to experience this.
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:42 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks hun! I've sat having a good look into it on the internet this afternoon and it defo looks like its night terrors she's experiencing due to the time of night she's having them and the fact she doesn't seem to remember anything at all in the morning.

All the sites I looked on say its usually from the age of 3-8 with most kids out growing it by 8 but it can happen anytime and last til above the age of 8. I hope this isn't going to happen to her til she's 8 or more....she'll have to sleep in the shed!

Aww its just so horrible and scary for us as her mum and dad as well but I've been assured that they cause no lasting damage and she won't be affected by them so feeling a bit better. I have noticed the pattern it says as well about them being overly tired or going to bed later causing worse attacks and last night my LO was so tired before bed she was trowing temper tantrums left right and centre so its defo all connected to tiredness!

Was advised that waking her from her sleep when we go to bed then settling her down again might help as it stops them from falling into a really heavy deep sleep as the night goes on so might give it a try and see how we get on.

xx
Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:29 pm 
Post subject:
my daughter had them at around 18 months, even though the sites say they dont start until later.

she would scream and be thrashing around in her bed, and i would go in and try and settle her but picking her up she would just fight against me, and if i tried to just stroke her back she would move away from me. it was really scary as she would have her eyes open but just a blank staring look on her face.

iv heard its connected with sleepwalking, and she does that now sometimes she has come into my room in the night and i just turn her round and walk her back to her bedroom and she seems asleep.

kaylaxxx
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:05 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya we had this with our DD from when she was about 18 months old. she would wake up screaming and when we would go in she would be sitting up woith her eyes wide open like she was awake but she clearly wasnt. this was happening about 2-3 times a night and we were exhausted in the end we started keepin track of the times it happened and set an alarm for 20 minutes before the average time we would then go in an wake her up a little. This broke her sleep but not to much and meant she wasnt in too deep of a sleep to have a "terror" we did this for about 2 weeks she is now 2 and touch wood has never had them since xx

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:53 pm 
Post subject:
I read on the internet about waking her up 10 mins or so before the normal time she has a bad dream so I've been waking her gently when we go to bed at about 11pm and it seems to be doing the trick. She had one last night but that was the first one for about a week after quite a stressful day (was at Alder Hey with her but turned out to be nothing too serious) so I was kind of expecting her to have one last night as she seems to suffer if she goes to bed really late or if she's had a long day.

Will carry on with the waking and hopefully it was just a phase that will pass.

xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular