When to stop bed time bottle?

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:56 am 
Post subject: When to stop bed time bottle?
Hi. DS is now about 2 years and 3 months. He gets a cup of milk with his lunch (around 80-120ml) and after bath and story he gets a bottle of 120ml.

When is this supposed to stop? The bottle at bed time? I don't give it to him in his cot, he is still sitting on my lap, we read a story, drink bottle, brush teeth and into bed.

I know some 3 year olds are still getting a milk bottle at bed time, but when should it "officially" stop?

thanks xxx

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:00 am 
Post subject:
I may be wrong but I think you're mean to wean them from bottles to cups at around 1. We always had milk or a milky drink before bedtime as children so I don't think that has to stop but just not from a bottle.
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:15 am 
Post subject:
Hi, as such he is weaned from it in that he has his cup of milk at lunch time (proper cup, not sippy cup).
He was taking his night time bottle from a sippy cup when he was about 18 months, but then he realised that his baby sister was getting one, so we went back onto it, was just too much drama otherwise.
Now he can understand things and I want to stop it.
I'm going to get him to switch to a cup... Smile
Thanks. xxx

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:56 pm 
Post subject:
I stopped mine getting milk at bedtime completely in May just gone so she was about 2 and a half.

I know you are supposed to stop bottles around about the age of one but it was part of our bedtime routine that she would snuggle in bed with me drinking her milk and I did try it from a sippy cup but she wanted her bottle (it was the only drink of the day given in a bottle, all the others were proper cups) but I wanted to wean the last drink of the night in preparation for getting her dry throughout the night.......I'm sure a 8oz bottle of milk right before bed is going to HAVE to come out during the night Laughing ).

I just went a bit cold turkey on her! To be fair she had stopped taking the whole bottle and she had a pretty bad cold the week I stopped completely and wasnt taking any of it at all so I tried her on a sip or two of water instead of the bottle and never looked back! She still snuggles in bed with me but without the bottle and I just give her a little sip of water before bed incase shes a bit dry.

If your LO is getting plenty of fluids throughout the day and eating enough tea to stop him waking up hungry through the night then you'll be fine to take it away (I sometimes give my LO a little biscuit or small piece of toast if she didnt eat all her tea).

xx
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:57 pm 
Post subject:
Oh and another reason I got rid of the last bottle is because I cant bare it when you see 3 and 4 year olds drinking from baby bottles........teach your child to drink from a cup already!

xx
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:14 pm 
Post subject:
Yes, I also hate seeing older kids still getting a bottle - same goes for the dummy.

Hm, I like the idea of stopping it completely, only thing is he is not so good at eating his dinner (5:30pm)..

I will see how it goes, maybe over the coming weeks gradually decrease his bottle to nothing and replace it with some milk in a cup at dinner time. xxx

Lilly777
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:48 pm 
Post subject:
sweetpea24 wrote:
Yes, I also hate seeing older kids still getting a bottle - same goes for the dummy.

Hm, I like the idea of stopping it completely, only thing is he is not so good at eating his dinner (5:30pm)..

I will see how it goes, maybe over the coming weeks gradually decrease his bottle to nothing and replace it with some milk in a cup at dinner time. xxx

Yeah I hate dummy's too haha, got rid of that over 12 months ago now!

My LO isn't brilliant at eating her tea so depending on what time she ate I'll either make her a little piece of toast or give her a digestive biscuit or something like that not long before bed, it seems o do the trick.

Mine was OK when I took it away, I thought it would be hard as she had it as here bedtime routine but touch wood shes been fine.

xx
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:20 am 
Post subject:
i switched my daughter to a beaker around 1, and then not long after she was 2 she stopped asking for milk before bed so i didnt give it to her. she has a sippy cup of water by her bed in case she wakes up thirsty. (it started when she had a cold but has now become habit)

amesymc
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 pm 
Post subject:
alfie still has his bedtime milk in a bottle - ill prob stop it when potty train him. but tbh im not worried as its his only drink of the day out of a bottle and hes chewed practically all the teats off his bottle so doesnt really have to suck it! x

[/url]
shootingstars
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:03 pm 
Post subject:
My 2 have had cups at bed time since 13 months and 11 months, They both still have milk before bed the same as i have tea before bed the same as i have a cup of tea, My 34 month old as been potty trained for nearly 12 month day and night, and never had any accidents,

LauraG
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:42 pm 
Post subject:
i switched my eldest to a beaker at bed around 1.

but my youngest had sucking issues and dusnt drink from anything but her bottle so actually wen you see older kids with bottles mite not be as simple for them to use a beaker. my daughter does now drink from a beaker during the day but still has a bottle for bed (shes coming up 3) she only has it for bed so i dont see it being a problem.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:56 pm 
Post subject:
I found it easier to stop sooner too and did it at about 1 but still gave milk just in a cup up until they stopped asking for it Question , i noticed it was the warm milk that made them more sleepy as much as the sucking anyway Question and we still had our cuddles and story while they had it from a cup Very Happy
My DD let her DD carry on longer and kept telling me how she was really attached to her bottle and wouldn't go to bed without it and would send a bottle to mine with her even when she was over 2 but i always gave her milk from a cup Question and she drank it no problem Laughing so as soon as my DD knew she would use the cup here she just binned the bottles at home Laughing going cold turkey is probably the easiest way you might have a tantrum on your hands the first night but i bet he'll be fine after that Smile xx
sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:09 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks. Smile The thing that I don't like about the cup, is its sooo messy... the amount of times he spills it... Smile

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:18 pm 
Post subject:
My youngest us a poor eater so when he has milk at bedtime I know it fills him up. I did try and give it in a cup but he didn't drink it and started to wake again at night so I have kept him with the bottle. At the moment it doesn't bother me. He only has it at bedtime. The rest of he day he quite happily drinks from a cup.
I hate seeing kids with a bottle, especially one filled with juice, when they are older. A dummy is worse. When I see a child talking and a dummy hanging out their mouth really gets on my nerves. How can they speak properley with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular