Breast feeding

AliJo
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:45 pm 
Post subject: Breast feeding
My baby is 13 weeks and I've been breast feeding on demand since she was born. I would like to have some routine but can't get her to last more than 1 to 2 hours before she's hungry again. Each feed can last about an hour and longer during the evenings. She's recently started coming off the breast even though there's enough milk and she seems hungry. She sometimes cries instead of latching on. I've tried alternating sides but am concerned she's not getting the hind milk to fill her up.
She feeds a lot in the evenings so theres no way she'll go to sleep earlier than 10 -11pm, as she's still hungry. How can I get her to feed in a routine and get enough to be tired by at least 8 - 9pm?
libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:56 pm 
Post subject:
Jamie was like this. He did settle down a bit about 4 months but I just had to keep at it until then. Its not unusual for them to cluster feed in the evenings.

Do you think wind or relux could be a problem for the crying? That could be something worth considering. I wouldn't alternate sides until your boob is empty as they'll just get the foremilk again which is more watery. You could also try eating different foods to make your milk creamier (I have a feeling chocolate is one) so it might be worth talking about your hv about that.

Sorry, that's not much help but I feel your pain. The only thing I can really say is that Jamie suddenly started going 3 or 4 hours between feeds sometime around the 4 month mark and started sleeping for two hours at a time (he slept 3 hours in 24 when he was a newborn) but that is a different issue?

K8andJJ
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:00 pm 
Post subject:
Where do you live? It might be worth seeing if there is a Breastfeeding Network group near to you as this sounds to me like she may not be latching properly. By 13 weeks a bf baby will normally go more than 1-2 hours without needing another feed and if she's coming off and crying she may be getting frustrated because she's not getting milk as fast and efficiently as she wants due to poor latch. It's hard to explain how to check for proper latch on a forum but if you popped into a group they could have a look at how she is feeding and give you some helpful tips and info. If there is no group nearby then try calling them on 0300 100 0210

Here's a link to their website which should tell you where your nearest group is: http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/support-centres.html

Hope you get sorted and you're both a bit happier Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular