Toddler waking early

Mandbaby
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:52 am 
Post subject: Toddler waking early
Noah's got into a really bad habit recently of waking early. He always used to sleep until at least 7am but over the last few weeks it's gradually got earlier and earlier. This morning it was 5.30am! I encouraged him to get back into bed, which he did without fuss - (not always the case!), but at 6.30am he crept back into our room asking to watch the TV in our bed.

He has a gro-clock in his room (which stays blue all night then turns yellow when you programme it to), and he totally understands the concept, but it's currently making no difference.

My hubby sees no harm in letting him into our room as long as he's quiet, but I think we're making a rod for our own back. I think I should be strict and insist he stays in his own bed and tries to sleep until it's "daytime".

Oh, I should've mentioned - it makes no difference what time he goes to bed. He normally goes at 7pm, but he's even fallen asleep as late as 9pm but still been up at the crack of dawn. Same goes for naps - if he has an afternoon nap, or if he doesn't, he still wakes at around 6am-ish.

What do you all do with your LO's if they wake this early? Make them go back to bed, or let them play? My biggest problem is I don't want him to make any noise because then he wakes Sam and he cries.

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:24 am 
Post subject:
Mand, Kieran went through a stage of this a couple of months ago. I let him in a few times when it was super early but I always returned him back to bed and he just stopped by himself. I don't think there's anything wrong with letting them in for a cuddle as long as they know they've got to go back in their own room. I have the same problem of not wanting him to wake the others as he shares a room with Adam who will very rarely to back to sleep if he's woke early and then Alice is in with me. Sorry not much help but hopefully he will grow out of it like Kieran did.

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:42 am 
Post subject:
I think you have to be very careful with this as like you said you don't want to develop bad habits and I think even bringing the kids in for a bit of a cuddle could cause problems in the long run. I personally don't have a TV in my room and I won't even consider one for the children until they are at least of secondary school age as I think it encourages bad sleep habits (it did with me).

May be take the TV out of your room for a while then that'll stop the excuse of coming into your room to watch the TV.

Also try to avoid the whole day light and darkness as we did this with Oliver and when it became light at night he started refusing to go to bed as 'it wasn't dark yet' and getting up at 5am as 'it was now daytime' this was even with a blackout blind!

I like the idea of the light glow light you have. We just went with the bed routine. Its usually keeps him in his room playing with his toys if nothing else. We just say its still sleep time darling the first time, then "sleep time" if he comes out again and any more times we just take him back and say nothing. Yes he screamed and still does occasionally but on the whole it works.

Terri xx

Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:47 pm 
Post subject:
I am super strict with this as I am awfull in the mornings lol!! Anything before 7.00am its Jo Frost put back to bed routine for us!
Normally he will try it on a few days and then realise you wont give in!
Although Archie hasn't done it for ages and if he wakes I can hear him chatting to himself but he stays in bed and waits for you to get him at 7.30am xx

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:33 pm 
Post subject:
Jennifer256 wrote:
I am super strict with this as I am awfull in the mornings lol!! Anything before 7.00am its Jo Frost put back to bed routine for us!
Normally he will try it on a few days and then realise you wont give in!
Although Archie hasn't done it for ages and if he wakes I can hear him chatting to himself but he stays in bed and waits for you to get him at 7.30am xx

Snap

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:20 pm 
Post subject:
We let Jamie into our bed. He normally wakes about 5.30-6. The problem we have is that we get up at 5.50 in the week so its tough to enforce at the weekend as it doesn't really make sense to him. We do insist he stays in bed with us and snuggles though rather than just allowing him to run riot

MichelleHx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:27 am 
Post subject:
If it's after 6.30am we let Immi in our bed but she's a nightmare so i might change that rule to 7am. If it's earlier we just walk her back to her bed and tell her she has to stay there. If she keeps getting back out we just keep putting her back. That is a nightmare but usually that will only be once every few months, normally she knows once we've put her back thats it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular