Contradicting GP and Pharmisist Advice????

Gemb288
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:32 pm 
Post subject: Contradicting GP and Pharmisist Advice????
Hello, please can someone help????

Im 22 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby.
Having spent the first 20 weeks really constipated its seems my my body has now gone the other way!!!
My IBS is really bad as the moment!! I'm now crippled with cramps and diarrhoea!!!
When im not pregnant i take mebeverine/colofac and imodium to control it.

When i was pregnant with my first baby my GP said i could continue with the mebeverine/colofac but imodium was a no no in pregnancy. So thats what i did.

I haven't taken any meberine/colofac this time round yet coz I haven't needed to being so bunged up!! But this week it's turned on its head!!

So..........when I was in the Drs getting my flu jab on friday I asked the GP if I could take mebeverine/colofac and he said yes (just uses it when you need it and not all the time) and then I asked the pharmacist in the chemist and he said yes too AND yes to Imodium (having previously been told by GP this was a no).
BUT I asked then triple checked (ha ha) with the pharmacist in Tesco and he said no to mebeverine/colofac.
AND the NHS website for Mebeverine and Imodium also says no!!!!

Nightmare!!!!

I literally don't know what to do, there is no one left to ask!!! And I'm in agony.

Any Thoughts??

Thankyou xxxxx
charlene258
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:29 pm 
Post subject:
I think if it was me I would take the advise from the doctor as he obviously knows your back ground with the notes he's got and he wouldn't say it was ok if it wasn't. The advise from web isn't tailored to u and ur needs so wouldn't rely on that. Only u can decide whether to take it but haven given the advise from docs and pharmacists and they were telling u it is fine I would go with what they say. Also u took with previous pregnancy and everything was ok I'm presuming? I no what it's like with ibs I have it and the diarreah is not nice is it. X

[url=http://lilypie.com]

charlene258
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldn't take Imodium whilst pregnant tho as I no docs usually say no to that.

[url=http://lilypie.com]

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:40 am 
Post subject:
I'm a pharmacist and have just triple checked in my book. It says it is not known to be harmful, but manufacturers advise to use with caution. So the Dr telling you to only take it as and when needed is right. With all medicines the advice is always risk v benefit, and if your body is going to be under stress by not taking it then the benefit outweighs any risk if that makes sense. Also the pharmacist in Tesco may have been referring to the over the counter colofac, which has to have much tighter rules to cover themselves as no-one is monitoring them.

Hope that helps.

xx

Gemb288
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:09 am 
Post subject:
Thank you xxheathxxttcno1

What about Imodium?? The pharmacist said yes as it sits in the gut and never passes to the blood stream???
But then why would the GP say no???

It's all so confusing!!!

Thankyou so much for looking it up!!

Gem xxx
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:30 pm 
Post subject:
I would go with what your doctor said, as when I had toothache when pregnant I asked the pharmacist if I could have anything stronger then paracetemol, and they said I could have co codamol if it was prescribed by a doctor.

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
No you can't take immodium sorry. Just try and keep fluids up as the main risk will be dehydration.

xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular