Sleeping in the Garden?

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 pm 
Post subject: Sleeping in the Garden?
In the summer if George fell asleep whilst we were out we'd just park him in the shade in the garden and let him finish his snooze. Obviously we checked on him and our Garden is very small so can easily hear from the house.

Now winters here I'm at a dilema as to what to do. He wakes up if I bring him in plus normally the pram wheels are Muddy. He is wrapped up toasty but do you think it's too cold for him to nap outside? I have reasoned with myself that it would be no different as to me wandering round town for an hour or so but still not sure. He's so hard to get to nap in the day anyway.

What do you do if your little ones fallen asleep whilst out n about and still asleep when you get home?
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:29 pm 
Post subject:
if kayne is still asleep when we get home i just get him up and put him straight in bed, he is a really good sleeper though. Personally i would feel rotten leaving him outside on his own in the cold so i would bring the pushchair inside even if it was muddy but just leave it near the front door. x

wannaBmummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:45 pm 
Post subject:
personally if I saw a baby left outside in the winter to sleep in the pram I would be very upset, no matter how wrapped up they are. But its just a matter of opinion, when Belle was small and she fell asleep out on a walk i would either keep walking and get a bit of exercise or just carry her straight up to bed.

amesymc
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm 
Post subject:
i would carry up to bed aswell but hes an ace sleeper and doesnt wake up once hes asleep. i personally wouldnt leave a baby outside to sleep x

[/url]
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:00 pm 
Post subject:
I don't like doing it but he would wake if I moved him. I will try bringing the pram in but he always used to wake. I'm not bothered about the Mud it's more him getting no sleep.

The thing is oh says and I can see his point, what is the difference between walking round town for 1 hour with him in the pram or him asleep in the garden in his pram.
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:05 pm 
Post subject:
When I was a baby (many many years ago!!!) it was very common for babies to be outside in their prams (wrapped up of course)!
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:15 pm 
Post subject:
Clairebell29 wrote:
I don't like doing it but he would wake if I moved him. I will try bringing the pram in but he always used to wake. I'm not bothered about the Mud it's more him getting no sleep.

The thing is oh says and I can see his point, what is the difference between walking round town for 1 hour with him in the pram or him asleep in the garden in his pram.

Because when you are walking around town with him in the pram you are inches away from him, holding on to the pram, when you are in the house and he is outside you have no way of keeping your eye on him constantly, my garden is very secured but i would never risk leaving a baby outside on their own, i am reluctant to let my 3 year old play in the garden when i am watching from the kitchen.

xxOliverAndMaxsMummy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:23 pm 
Post subject:
As well as what wannabmummy said you are also pushing the pram so you are blocking the elements from most sides and as you are walking around you go in different directions so no necessarily towards or against the weather.

You say you'd be worried about him not getting enough sleep but if he is tired he'll sleep if not he'll wake up. The reason he stays away outside is because of the movement of the buggy and the sounds out there, the quiet of the indoors wakes him. Maybe bring him in, leave him in the pushchair and put the radio on?

Terri xx

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
wannaBmummy wrote:
Clairebell29 wrote:

Because when you are walking around town with him in the pram you are inches away from him, holding on to the pram, when you are in the house and he is outside you have no way of keeping your eye on him constantly, my garden is very secured but i would never risk leaving a baby outside on their own, i am reluctant to let my 3 year old play in the garden when i am watching from the kitchen.

He is strapped in his pram so couldn't do himself any damage, not yet old enough to have figured how to get himself out. Luckily you can see our Garden from both our kitchen and Dining Room so I potter about in there. Also leave the back door open. I'm happy with that it's more the cold I feel guilty about.
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:34 pm 
Post subject:
xxOliverAndMaxsMummyxx wrote:

You say you'd be worried about him not getting enough sleep but if he is tired he'll sleep if not he'll wake up. The reason he stays away outside is because of the movement of the buggy and the sounds out there, the quiet of the indoors wakes him. Maybe bring him in, leave him in the pushchair and put the radio on?

Terri xx

That's a good idea i'll give it a go. Just got to convince oh a little bit of Mud never hurt anyone. You'd think he would sleep if he was tired but George is convinced sleep is for the weak. He literally has an hour max during the day, sometimes as little as 1/2 hour. He does sleep 12 - 13 hours at night though. He was such a fussy Baby and our life is very sporadic we never managed any sort of Nap routine.
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:45 pm 
Post subject:
I wouldn't worry.

Max sometimes has no sleep all day and he's only 7 months, he sleeps through when he doesn't sleep in the day, bonus.

At best Max has about 20 mins in the morning around 10am (takes about 30 mins to rock him to sleep though!) and he has about 1-2 hours in the afternoon (usually the 1 hour more than the 2).

As long as you have a good night time routine he'll get all the sleep he needs.

Terri xx

XxNOAHnELIJAHxX
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 pm 
Post subject:
I would not do it hun, i dont even leave my LO in the car if his asleep. I bring him straight in, if he wakes he wakes, if not he will just sleep on the sofa. Even if they are wrapped the face is not.

Char

My beautiful little men filling up my world x
Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:05 pm 
Post subject:
I think the fact I had to ask the question shows I'm not 100% comfortable with it. It was just so easy in the Summer. I would leave him in his pram and sit out there with a book.I wouldn't leave him in the car. Won't do it with the Dog either, have a paranoia about them getting locked in.

OliversMum, that's what George used to nap like but since I've been back at work 2 1/2 days things have gone haywire. I know he's a much happier Baby if he has a nap. I'll be honest I haven't tried getting him out of the buggy and bringing him in for ages. I will give it a go, he may surprise me. He naps better when he's at the childminder perhaps because she's more relaxed about it.
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:52 am 
Post subject:
I wouldn't be comfortable doing it. It's freezing outside (I'm in north west) and I can't imagine leaving a baby out in it longer than I needed to. Could you not get one of those runners so the mud would come off the wheels onto that? They're really ugly but would do the job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular