Advice

Hana22
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:25 am 
Post subject: Advice
I think I'm probably posting in the wrong place but not sure where to. Need some advice on housing. I'm in private rented and have been here since my lo was born almost 3 years ago. There has always been problems here with slight damp and things being in disrepair the landlord has been asked time and time again but he just doesn't do anything. About 2 years ago I got that fed up with it I rang environmental Health and he came out filed a report made landlord do a few jobs then closed the case. Over time my dad started doing the easy repairs like fit me new doors , repair bath etc etc then things started getting worse and would cost a lot for me to do and as its not my house I don't see why my dad or myself should pay out a lot of money when it's not ours so I contacted and told him te problems main one being a gutter that has come off and split causing water to pour everywhere .... That was January I told him , still not done!!! Now we have a big damp problem , partly from gutter but mainly from the loft which is absolutely full of water which is right above my daughters bedroom and I think it's causing her light to flicker and big damp patch on her ceiling , he wardrobe is full of damp its ruined her things I've since took her out that room and she sleeps in mine. Water drips down from ceiling in bathroom.We have white mold in living room that keeps coming back and recently found mold in hall that spread onto pushchair the whole wall of front door is wet!! Downstairs toilet gets damp and has mold Sad .I'm pratically living in my bedroom! Just wondered what I can do now!! Don't want environmental health to just fob me off with landlord doing little repairs like last time I just want to move out of here , it's getting me so so down and depressed my daughter gets bad chests it's worrying the hell out of me and no amount of bleach will keep the mold away. What's more is I had a letter in September telling me rent was going up another 50 pound to which I replied and said I can not afford increase and he can not justify putting it up when the house is in such a state with no intention of doing work , he hasn't replied back to me after 2 months . I can't stay here cos it won't change and I can't afford to move with deposits and such !! Seems I'm stuck!! Any advice at all I would be so grateful . Thanks guys xxx Ps sorry for long post :/

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:02 am 
Post subject:
Have you applied to the council? Tell them the state the house is in, get environmental health out to do another report, and get your doctor to do a report on your daughter.

with your landlord i would start with holding the rent. my friends OH has properties he rents out and if he doesnt get work done the tenants with hold the rent.

emmie02
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:14 pm 
Post subject:
can you go to citezens advise? They way be able to help point you in the right direction.

Im surprised your landlord hasnt fixed the guttering coz it does so muc damage to the house, youd think as its his house hed want to sort it.
I had the same with my pownpipe not being connected, r walls in r bedroom would get soaking wet and ave black mold growing. As soon as i spotted it the landlord got on top of it that week, even gave us a dehumidifier for free to use i the house as we told him how damp it gets (not heped by having no where to hang r washing)

Id be tempted to go bck to environmental health for a report to say its unhealthy to live in (especially with a child) and like steph said ask your dr or health visitor to write a report (my friend did this coz made her hubby depresed- they now have a nice house witht he housing accociation)

Can u get put on the list for a council house? if u say your house isnt fit enough and have evidance from enviro health and dr u may get put near top of list (im not an expert just guessing)

As for withholding rent you could do this if you wished (i personal wouldnt with hold all of it, maybe just part). A friend of mine went threw hell trying to get her tenants to pay (not coz house was bad- just not nice people) she couldnt even get the police involved in it.

I hope youmanage to get something sorted, i know what its like living with mold and damp (although i only did it for 2 months - i dont know how your managing to put up with it - id be crying).

Hana22
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:46 pm 
Post subject:
Thank u for replying I've took ur advice and got in contact with environmental health and he's coming back out next week, I'm already on the council list from the last time he came out but I'm right at the bottom still I've even put my name on there private rented list and nothing has come of it Sad going to go health visitor this week something needs to be done because I'm so unhappy and constantly on edge about cleaning so my daughter doesn't get poorly, inspecting clothes and shoes everytime I get them out the wardrobe , I'm getting obsessed with it constantly feel dirty cos of this house !! Its not healthy ! Told landlord about it more times than i can remember he's just not bothered about the house just wants money. Think citizens advice would be my best bet to see what else I can do !! Just want help with this I can't take much more i was so looking forward to my babies first years of her life and they are just clouded by memories of stress and upset over this horrible house !! Thank u for ur help u don't know how much that means xxxxx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:19 am 
Post subject:
I would definately push the council, hit them with the reports, even get them to come out and have a look.

im not sure how your council prioritises, but we have lettered bands. top priority is people the council need to move due to work, then its homeless, people with health issues, people severely overcrowded, then people slightly overcrowded, then people who have no needs to move.

but every so often the council open up properties to those who are in the lowest bands, and they have a policy to offer them a property within 18 months.

if your council still operate on whoever gets the most points gets to the top of the list you need to ring them constantly as they will push you up to shut you up! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular