Can a mw date a pregnancy just by hearing baby's..UPDATE..!!

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:39 pm 
Post subject:
It really shouldn't bother you that she is saying all this.. I mean just leave her to it. I know its probably easier said than done as I don't know what shes really like.

Having said that I love it when others are pregnant with me and have never seen pregnancy as a competition or anything (not saying that's how you see it) just saying try to embrace it and look forward to your babies being the same age etc, its really a wonderful thing having a baby at the same time as a friend I think, I think that's why these forums can be so successful if used correctly as its nice to build strong friendships with others in the same situation as yourself.

xx

yorkie101
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:06 am 
Post subject:
**UPDATE**

For anyone that's interested my friend has had her scan, she was meant to have it in Jan but it got cancelled till this week.

Ok, so..there is NO BABY..!!! Surprised Confused Yet again she has got all the way to having a scan only to be told there is "no baby".

This is the 3rd time she has been told this, the mw was very rude & said have you even taken a pregnancy test cos there is no sign of a pregnancy.

But she has been diagnosed with PCOS tho so could that of caused her to have faint lines on hpt..? She even sent me a bump pic a couple of wks ago & said she is feeling baby move...!!!
Bit confused abt what the mw heard at the booking in appt & why she hasn't had af since Sept.. xx
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:24 am 
Post subject:
Im pretty sure that pcos can give you long cycles which would explain the lack of a period. Maybe the pregnancy test was an evap line, I know some tests do give bad ones.
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:21 am 
Post subject:
I have very long irregular cycles and have been known to not have a period for 2 years. I have only ever had a BFP on a test when I'm pregnant. So I assume it was an evaporation line or she has just been telling porkies.
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 am 
Post subject:
I'm sure there are cases where women get positives when theyre not pregnant.. must be rare but it must happen. if she isnt lying then I feel bad for her.. i dont see why any woman would pretend to be pregnant though and go all the way to a scan knowing she wasnt.. I feel really bad for her to be honest Sad

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:01 pm 
Post subject:
It's such a strange situation that none of us know the reasons/answers.. She could be lying or she could genuinely have believed she was pregnant.. If thats the case I feel genuinely sorry for her.. But if she didnt know howbfar gone she was then why have they left itso long to scan her?

I've recently had a similar situation with a 'friend' telling people she was pregnant... But there's no scans etc and she has no bump.. She should be about 28 weeks ish but shes still going out drinking shots etc...
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:30 pm 
Post subject:
Bizarre...? You can get false positive (just googled it!!) its rare and usually user error/evap lines, some medications and illnesses cause it but this is rare (methadone can give you a false positive apparently!).

Thinking about this, when I went to docs with both my pregnancies they simply took my word for it, did test, obviously they take blood and urine samples, whether they test the HCG in your blood I don't know, I doubt it though...?

Its porkie pies or a very sad situation... xxx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:42 am 
Post subject:
Something similar happened to my friend, only once though , she'd been trying for about 8yrs , they were told her OH had such a low sperm count it was highly unlikely to happen naturally, she has a daughter already so no IVF offered , anyway she misses AF , does a test and its positive Very Happy does about 20 more all positive Laughing , see's her doc who books her in for an 8 week scan to confirm dates,
goes to the scan and no baby Shocked and no signs there was ever a baby , anyway after lots of bloods (which they did the same day)it turns out she's menopausal Shocked Sad
Which was the last thing she expected at 38 Shocked
She actually never had another period Sad
She was told for some women in the peri menopausal stage they can get positive tests ,cos their natural baseline HCG rises, and have random periods for months or even years before their periods stop altogether Question
Maybe your friend should ask about a second opinion on her supposed PCOS to make sure she's no going through an early menopause Question
You can have a "silent miscarriage" though it doesn't happen often but sometimes you can miscarry with no bleeding or pain ,its not the same as a missed m/c although some people call a missed m/c a silent m/c, its quite common in some species , like rabbits and even kangaroos (random I know)when there's a lack of food to sustain the pregnancy and it will literally be reabsorbed and leave no signs ,it also happens sometimes in a twin pregnancy where one will not make it but won't physically be lost from the body.
When I was having my second I went for my first scan at 17 weeks to be told I was only 12 weeks Shocked , which puzzled me no end as from the timing of my first positive test I knew I was 17 weeks and had missed a period then etc. Question
I'm sure it wasn't a false pos and I had all the signs , the explanation they gave me was it was possible I had been pregnant when I first tested but the pregnancy had failed but instead of being lost in the normal way my body just absorbed it and I then got pregnant again the next time I ov'd , if that hadn't happened I could have been in the same position as your friend , going for a scan to be told there was nothing there, as I never tested again after missing the second Af Question
I'd tell her to test now though and if she's still getting faint lines to get her hormones checked , if its menopause related the lines don't get darker xx
MingoMayo
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:06 pm 
Post subject:
I feel really sorry for your friend if she genuinely thought that she was pregnant - but whether they thought she was 10 or 16 weeks, or even just 'didn't know' - they would have done bloods - especially as she was supposed to be definitely over 8 weeks - as you always have bloods done at the booking in appointment and they'd have tested her HCG and seen something was wrong then... so much as it sounds odd and her reasons can only be her own I would perhaps suggest it's all a bit of a story, otherwise she would have had a blood test and known already that she wasn't pregnant. Yes they do take your word for it when you go along and say you've home tested, but they do still do a blood test and record your HCG levels, especially if it is an unknown date of pregnancy. My sister did a test and got a BFP - almost 20 weeks after her last period... they had her bloods done and a scan within two weeks to establish how far she was (she was actually only 6, just had very irregular periods!) but they didn't 'hang around' to date her, so I'd say your friend is perhaps dealing with something in an odd way... which is sad for her if she feels she needs to make up things like this for attention Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular