breach baby

tracyx87
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:17 pm 
Post subject: breach baby
my baby was head down untill a few weeks ago when it decided to turn midwifeconfirmed that babys head was now under my ribs 2 weeks ago and told me to put frozen peas on babys head so far iv not tried that but i now feel babys head at my side and feet the other side so does that mean baby is turning by itself or should i try the peas? i have less than 7weeks till due date now x

Zee81
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:54 pm 
Post subject:
Id do it anyway..no harm done Smile

Babies will change position right up to the final weeks. Have a look for tips for turning baby online as im sure there are other things to try. Resting with a cushion under your bum...raised hips I think apparently works.

Good luck
Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:01 pm 
Post subject:
Ive never heard that used to turn babies thats really interesting ive heard about kneeling on all 4 with your bum higher than your head x
Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:26 pm 
Post subject:
Lola was head down until I stupidly turned my top half to talk to my partner forgetting I was pregnant and the most excruciating pain came over me and she turned between have scans to determine a section! That was around 3 weeks before Sad x
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:38 am 
Post subject:
I am not sure when my little man turned breach as no one detected it until he was born.

Char

My beautiful little men filling up my world x
jusf
Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:21 am 
Post subject:
Iv just had a scan at 36 weeks and little monkey is transverse head under my ribs feet down. I'm going for another scan next Friday il be 37 + 3 by then they've said they will try and turn him or give me a section. I suffer with high blood pressure so that's why I had extra scans he was head down last week at my midwife check . Hopefully by next week he will settle himself head down ! You still have lots if time don't worry.
hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:19 am 
Post subject:
I am actually in the midst of becoming a midwife and have been on many workshops run by a brilliant independant midwife. I'm not going to pretend I know it all, I'm not technically a student midwife yet but do not let them push you into a section for a breech baby. They birth exactly the same way as a head down baby, no extra risks despite what they may tell you (they'll just highlight the bad points!) The only reason they section you is to make life easier for them, so they can control it! Good luck! Xx
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:04 pm 
Post subject:
hayley2903 wrote:
I am actually in the midst of becoming a midwife and have been on many workshops run by a brilliant independant midwife. I'm not going to pretend I know it all, I'm not technically a student midwife yet but do not let them push you into a section for a breech baby. They birth exactly the same way as a head down baby, no extra risks despite what they may tell you (they'll just highlight the bad points!) The only reason they section you is to make life easier for them, so they can control it! Good luck! Xx

1/2 technically true, so its true it CAN be as easy as a head down birth but there is a higher risk of an arm or a leg becoming trapped (usally a leg because the legs need to flip forward to be delieverd safely and often its not a deft movement so one gets trapped). Studies show that with no other complications at all (so no prolonged labour, induction,augmentation or epidural) then both headdown and breach produced similar results.

The other factor to take into account is that fewer mw's have actually handled a natural breach birth (mainly because most hospitals automatically do c-section) and like any type of slightly different birth it requires a good level of confidence from the mw's and doctors to make it successful.

There are both pro's and cons to having a breach via vaginal and you need to umderstand them all before making a decision, the previous poster is correct you don't HAVE to opt for a c-section, but do try and research beforehand.

IF you do go for a natural birth and baby still misbehaved
s and stays breach then try birthing on all-fours, this apparantly helps them come out easier.

Heres a link on natural ways to get baby to turn - http://pregnancy.about.com/od/breechbabies/a/breechbabies.htm

Goodluck Smile

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:09 pm 
Post subject:
If you have a good midwife a breech birth should be fine. I would have opted for this if I did not have a bicornuate uterus as a section is a big operation and can affect you afterwards which is has done with me. There are risks with every birth, all I'm saying is, have faith in yourself, it would be worth it:) xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular