Walking Outside

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:43 pm 
Post subject: Walking Outside
This is a bit of an odd question but hey I'm full of them!

When do you start letting your little one walk around outside? George has been walking for nearly 2 months and is on his feet all day in the house but if we're out except for the obvious like the park then he's in is pushchair or carried.

Just thinking when do you start letting them walk a bit more? I'm scared of him falling and hurting himself or being anywhere near cars. Should I start giving him some more freedom?
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:55 pm 
Post subject:
Give yourself the time to walk slowly with him around your area, minus the pushchair maybe so he can learn slowly?
We used to stroll with evie before she could walk independently,(she has since refused her pushchair since 18 months) and now walks sensibly as it was important to us that she learned very early on about roads.

He is still young, so don't worry yourself too much about it... falls are bound to happen but that is how they learn

xx

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:29 pm 
Post subject:
Ava is 2 and even now i put her in the pushchair because it quicker to get around than waiting for her. The only time she walks with me is on the way to nursery, to the park or if oh is with us because that way he can carry her if we need to get somewhere fast. We regularly go for walks in the woods though when the weather is ok, just go at your own pace and do what seems right for all of you. I would say for now walking round the park is fine and like mrs oz said try walking local to start with xx

EmzandFlick
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:02 pm 
Post subject:
We started by driving to our local ponds and letting her have a walk around there on the grass and park etc...
We also let her walk around our local town centre - which is always quiet as the place is a dump Laughing Laughing
In busier towns we took her pram but also let her walk on her reins. We got her backpack reins and she loved wearing them and still loves them at 3 1/2 Laughing
Although she doesn't need them anymore.
Oh and don't worry about falls, my LO always has grazes, cuts and bruises from where she always falls over, she expects inanimate objects to move out of her way and when they don't nie time out of ten she will walk into them and fall over Shocked Laughing Laughing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?LH_BIN=1&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=toddler+reins&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc
EmzandFlick
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:02 pm 
Post subject:
Link is just for toddler reins on ebay btw no spam Very Happy
lysianassa
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:55 pm 
Post subject:
Sebastian was walking from 8.5 months and we used to walk to nursery down the road on the way home (used to take forever but hey Rolling Eyes Laughing ). We started off using reins but quickly just held hands and even now he knows that if he's out of his pram he has to hold hands. Sure he fell down a few times but they don't get hurt that bad. Just go slow and you'll soon be trying to keep up with him

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:28 pm 
Post subject:
Think I'll get some reins to begin with then, they are cheap. It just struck me today that we never put him down outside! I walked round to a nearby restaurant with him for my Mums birthday and carried him all the way and my arms killed. It's only a 3 minute walk so I should have let him walk. We live pretty much in town so it would be to busy for him to walk there most days but certainly could let him have a little go every now and then.

I let him have a run around in Currys today when we were choosing a washing machine (ours is broken).
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:46 pm 
Post subject:
I would start by taking up your road, if you live in a town. Very Happy you will spend most of the time standing still while he looks around then touches cars and walls etc Very Happy Very Happy then he will go in the opposite direction. Very Happy Laughing
My 1st and 4th are excellent walkers. They could go out and walk a few miles when they were about 17 months. My 2nd and 3rd would walk to the garden gate and want carrying. Laughing

libertytmk
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:57 pm 
Post subject:
Pretty much from the start although he still goes in his pushchair quite a bit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular