how much sleep and milk.....?

louloubellamozzarella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:43 pm 
Post subject: how much sleep and milk.....?
New mum questions again!!! Very Happy

My LO who is now just coming up to 14 months, sleeps about 13 hours at night and an hour and a half in the day. Is this about right or too much?

Also I am still giving her three lots of whole milk a day (7oz) per feed. Should I be cutting any of these out yet? Last two evenings, the 7oz have not been enough and she has cried for more!!!

Thanks in advance. XXXX

My Adoption Journal...
http://www.askbaby.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=115215
Jennifer256
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 pm 
Post subject:
Charlotte is two in march and only has milk on her breakie now, she stopped her bed bottle about 4 months ago and before that he day bottle at about 4 months before that. It was her morning bottle she kept on for a while, my friends little one will be three in may and still has two bottles a day. Go with your instinct, sleep at that age Charlotte was still having two naps morning and afternoon and sleeping 13 hours she now has one nap and sleeps 13 hours if she settles well ans isnt niggly just go with it xx

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:36 pm 
Post subject:
Alex is now 18 months but has been on pretty much the same sleep and milk for a few months now, but do remember every baby is different so just use it as a guide Wink

So he has betwwen 1.5/2 hours sleep in the daytime, when at home (apart from once) this is split into 1 morning sleep and 1 afternoon sleep, however when at nursery they manage to get him to do 1 long sleep (something he won't seem to do at home!!)

Milk - He has 1 8.5oz at bedtime and then occassionally has 5 or 6 oz's around 1.30, but he does have about 6 yoghurts a day and milk on his ceral, he's only started dropping this daytime bottle in the last month so I'd suggest you perhaps just drop 1 daytime bottle for now Smile

With regards to the last bottle not being enough, when does she have her tea? Alex for example when at nursery has teatime at 3.30, so at around 6ish I give him a couple of small yoghurts, and either a couple of breadsticks or a handleful of quavers, or like today wierd boy he wanted half a cucumber lol

pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:36 pm 
Post subject:
My girl is very nearly one and she maybe has a cup of milk in the afternoon (as well as loads with brekkie). Don't give her any at night now. How is she doing weight wise? Maybe try and mix the milk with more and more water each time so she's weaned off it?

Huuuuge congratulations by the way xx

louloubellamozzarella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:48 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Very Happy

Weight wise, she is ever so slightly above the average but she is a long/tall baby! She only has one yogurt a day (maybe I should give her more?) I think I could faze out the daytime bottle quite easily as she doesnt really look for it.

Breakfast is porridge and bottle of milk. Lunch is a small sandwich of cheese and ham (or similar)followed by a small yogurt and a small rice cake. Milk mid afternoon and maybe a small snack an hour later. Dinner (5 pm) is usually carb based followed by fruit puree and at 6.30pm - milk

Does this sound OK - I feel like I am making it up as I go along!!!

xxx

My Adoption Journal...
tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:53 pm 
Post subject:
louloubellamozzarella wrote:
Thanks Very Happy

Weight wise, she is ever so slightly above the average but she is a long/tall baby! She only has one yogurt a day (maybe I should give her more?) I think I could faze out the daytime bottle quite easily as she doesnt really look for it.

Breakfast is porridge and bottle of milk. Lunch is a small sandwich of cheese and ham (or similar)followed by a small yogurt and a small rice cake. Milk mid afternoon and maybe a small snack an hour later. Dinner (5 pm) is usually carb based followed by fruit puree and at 6.30pm - milk

xxx

yeah sounds good, I'd just throw in a bit more fruit and veg if you can which can be hard, whilst alex adores veg (more than meat actually) he's a pain with fruit, so I always make sure he has at least 1 puree a day.

Is the 6.30 bottle just before she goes to bed? or is it before bath, what time does she goto bed?

louloubellamozzarella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:02 pm 
Post subject:
tracebumfluffwhy wrote:
louloubellamozzarella wrote:
Thanks Very Happy

xxx

yeah sounds good, I'd just throw in a bit more fruit and veg if you can which can be hard, whilst alex adores veg (more than meat actually) he's a pain with fruit, so I always make sure he has at least 1 puree a day.

Is the 6.30 bottle just before she goes to bed? or is it before bath, what time does she goto bed?

After bath - Her routine is - bath at 6, bottle at 6.30 bed at 7. Or there abouts!!! Very Happy

My Adoption Journal...
pepperpot
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
I think we all make it up as we go along!

Can you just make the porridge with milk and then drop the pm bottle if she's not bothered. I've only ever given one yogurt a day but Sophie is greedy and eats a adult sized one. Also lots of cheese. Mine both eat dinner at 5 and that's it until 7the next morning and they aren't screaming for food x

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
that sounds brilliant then, just see if she moans a lot about the nightime bottle, you could always make it up to 8oz and see if she drinks it all, I did that when Alex started grumbling, and I'd say 99% of the time he drinks it all Smile

louloubellamozzarella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:17 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks you guys!!! Very Happy I really need a manual!!!!

I do make her porridge with milk so I think the PM milk can go!!! The 8oz milk in the eve in a good idea- I will try that.

She is quite a fussy eater and will not eat cheese unless it is dairylea or grated cheese in a sarnie! She hates veg, salad veg and most fruit too! I find it hard to feed her and worry that she is not getting all her food groups in. Dairy is fine as she has loads of milk and her yogurt and cheese as mentioned. Meat - she is not keen and I have to hide it in omelettes or a sarnie. Fruit - I have to give as puree (she will eat banana) and veg has to be hidden but she usually detects it and rejects it!!! Carbs are OK.

Honestly, I never thought it would be this complicated!!!!! Laughing

My Adoption Journal...
tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:50 pm 
Post subject:
with veg the easiest way to hide it is to mash it down REALLLY small, even puree it and mix it in to things like bolognaise, soup, or make ikkle burgers or even mix into potato and see how that works.

They all need a manual, and a different language one at that they are all so complicated lol.

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:33 pm 
Post subject:
You sound like you've mastered it to me!
The manual sounds like a brilliant idea, they should all come with one, I'd love to know why my 9 month old now refuses milk Sad xx
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:39 am 
Post subject:
hayley2903 wrote:
The manual sounds like a brilliant idea, they should all come with one, I'd love to know why my 9 month old now refuses milk Sad xx

Hayley some just do go off it for no explained reason, both my nephews did Sad Is it formula or cows milk?

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 am 
Post subject:
tracebumfluffwhy wrote:
hayley2903 wrote:

Hayley some just do go off it for no explained reason, both my nephews did Sad Is it formula or cows milk?

She went from having 4 bottles (8oz) of formula in a 24/h period to nothing! So I've tried cows milk since but she just refuses it. I went off milk just not so young like Lola, I'm off to the clinic today to see if I can replace it with anything, she's losing weight too quickly Sad xx
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:09 am 
Post subject:
She is about the same age as George I think? He sleeps around 13 - 14 Hours at night and around 1/2 - 1 hour in the day so I think that is about right. Some Babies sleep more though. He has never been one for day time naps.

He has 190mls (about 6oz) of cows milk twice a day, morning and night. He also has milk with his cereal if that's what he has for breakfast. Guidlines are no more than 350ml (about 12 1/2 oz) a day so as to stop them filling up on milk and not takig other nutrients. He would have more though as he loves it. He will sometimes winge for a bit more at bedtime but it's not because he's hungry as he's a good eater and dinner is at 6 with bedtime at 7.30. I think it's because he likes it and it's a comfort. He has his in a beaker.

George went off veg for a while but seems to have decided to like it again! Have you tried giving it to her as finger food? George also likes raw veg (green beans, carrots, celery). Can get loads of veg in spag bol. Also I found George loves anything in a cheese sauce so cauliflower cheese is good. Mix fruit with Yogurt and try loadsa different things. Let her play with it. This is the key to George trying something new. He will play with it for quite a while before he decides to try it.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular