Had an accident

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:17 am 
Post subject: Had an accident
On tuesday I was driving to work, and stuck in the traffic leading to the estate, when a car on the other side of the road lost control and spun into the car in front of me and then me. Details were exhcanged and myself and the other driver that got hit agreed to be witnesses to each other.

I got to work and phoned my insurance who agreed it should be straightforward non fault. They arranged a garage to contact me for the repairs and also a company to provide me with a hire car. I phoned them and they used a different name to the one the insurance had given me, then started asking loads of questions about the accident. I googled them whilst on the phone and the stuff about them was horrendous, basically they make you sign saying if they cant claim the money back then I would have to pay. But they told me that I couldnt have a car until the driver had admitted liability. All the stuff on the internet was saying that the insurers wont pay out for these hire cars as they are too expensive and you need to prove that you need one. (its over an hour to work on 2 buses without a car or 15 minutes with, or £15 a day return taxis)

Then the drivers insurance phoned me and said they would repair the car and provide a hire car. A lot of stuff on the internet said this is a good ay to do it, as they wont dispute the costs, but some say that they use cheap garages and have bad repair work. Im pretty sure they will write the car off anyway (due to value) but I dont want a bad repair job, or to be left with big bills, as if I refuse the offer they can say they wont pay as they offered and could do it cheaper.

Even worse the other driver that got hit phoned me last night as the driver that hit us is claiming that he was at fault! Even though they have admitted liability to me.

I am just getting so stressed about it, and dont know the best way to proceed.

RacheynHarry
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 am 
Post subject:
Wow Steph, firstly, hope you are ok!!

Not really sure what is the best thing for you to do, but I didnt want to read and run.

Have you thought about going to Citizens advice? They might be able to help you. I went to see them about a matter last week and although your only supposed to have 15 minutes I was in there over an hour Embarassed

Let us know what happens xx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks hun, just a bit shook up at first and aching all over now Sad unfortunately I had Sam in the car, but she seems fine, keeps telling everyone a car hit mommy's car. Laughing

Citizens advice round here is awful, can never get through on the phone, and they have a drop in but often people get turned away as they dont have time.

Iv had the hire compnay on the phone today, and when I told them I didnt want to deal with them, they were very insistent and said they would get me a like for like car (I have a corsa, so will most likely get similar anyway!) then I got home to a letter from the car insurance saying that the garage would provide a courtesy car, so there was never any need for them to involve the hire company!

poppytops
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:12 pm 
Post subject:
Eek! What a nightmare!!! I'm glad you are ok though, apart from being a bit shaken up, its such an inconvenience too when things like this happens. Do you know anyone else that have been in a similar situation? I'm unable to give any advice I'm afraid, other than reading every document you are sent before signing anything, my brother in law got stung by the insurance companies when he had an accident which wasnt his fault, that was a case of the other driver not admitting liability too... Good luck with it xx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:22 pm 
Post subject:
I phoned the garage today to chase them up assesing the damage and the guy was asking about what damage there was, and I said about the headlight being broken, and he said that most likley it was now miss aligned and therefore unroadworthy, so to phone the insurance and tell them, and they would have to give me a replacement car straight away, and they would make a decision on the assesment quicker as they would be paying for a hire car Very Happy (good bit of inside information)

As its the other drivers insurance paying, I fully expected a small basic car, but have taken delivery of a brand new corsa! well chuffed, just hope it takes a few weeks to sort out the car as loving it. Laughing

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:13 pm 
Post subject:
Glad you and your little girl are okay x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular