Growing your own

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:17 am 
Post subject: Growing your own
So for some strange reason Ive gotten the urge to grow my own veg and herbs lol i have no idea why but it seems kind of fun.

Atm I'm growing basil, rosemary, chives, peppers and an apple tree Laughing a random combination i know!

I am planning on growing garlic and spring onions sometime later this week.. does anyone else grow their own fruit or veg? I'm doing all mine indoors so im limited to what i can grow i think xx

Xxxpolxxx
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:20 am 
Post subject:
i want to grow my own veg, i put some potatoes in my garden to grow and my dog spent two days sitting on them and then dug them up!! that was the end of my veg growing hahaha
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:31 am 
Post subject:
I tried growing flowers a few years ago and I basically killed them all off. I move in a few months time and I'm hoping to try again with the help of my uncle who's a landscape gardener - so I'm going to get an apple tree and a pear tree, as well as strawberries, blackberries and tomatoes as well as my flowers - mainly tiger lilies and roses. But I'm dreading it because I know I'm just going to kill the poor things Cool Embarassed

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:18 pm 
Post subject:
i tried to grow herbs 2 years in a row and both times ive killed them... tomatoes i kill too.. i seem to have done ok with my strawberries though and they look set to come back this year Very Happy i dug all my flowers up cos the cats kept using them as a litter tray and killing them! Sad x
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:42 pm 
Post subject:
Ive grown herbs b4 and they just went MAD and overtook everything.

I did strawberry's last yr, they were a very big hit. Belle loved helping water them and eating them too, i had 8 plants only only ate about 3 coz Belle scoffed them all!

Other yrs ive tried courgettes, carrots, potato and tomato. Not really had any luck with them though. I grew them in grow bags and pots so that may have made them get very water logged as it was very wet that yr.

Good luck with your growing this yr.

Im not sure if i will get around to doing anything this yr, im hoping my strawberry may come back this yr (they r in my nannys shed at the moment)

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:12 pm 
Post subject:
Chillies will grow well on a warm window sill. I know it's not that exciting but cress is easy to grow and fun for little ones as grows quick.

May I ask how you are growing an apple tree indoors?
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:20 pm 
Post subject:
Clairebell29 wrote:
Chillies will grow well on a warm window sill. I know it's not that exciting but cress is easy to grow and fun for little ones as grows quick.

May I ask how you are growing an apple tree indoors?

Basically I bought some apples from the shop as you do and when i was eating it I decided to get one of the seeds and put it on wet tissue in a bowl and covered the bowl with cling film, it has made a shoot already so going to plant it up in a pot when it gets leaves and keep it on my window sil until the summer when i will put outside lol I hope it doesnt die on me but we shall see, it was only an experiment to be fair..

I'm just getting seeds from fruit and veg i buy with my shopping and planting it.. like im going to do spring onions at some point as all you need to do is keep the ends and plant them lol

My kitchen window sil looks like a garden centre nursery lol soon it will look like the eden project.. I went a bit mad planting all sorts and i doubt there will be much room in a few weeks Laughing

Might take a picture of them if they all prove successful xx

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:56 pm 
Post subject:
I thought you meant it was going to live permanently inside! Sounds like you have green fingers.
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:01 pm 
Post subject:
mushrooms are easy to grow, as are potatoes, cress, tomatoes, runnerbeans and cucumbers :0

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:54 am 
Post subject:
I did for a couple of years, but then had a disease destroy all my potatoes and after 2 very wet years with things rotting in the soil I gave up Rolling Eyes
I've rearranged my garden now so my veg plot is gone Sad but still have ,blackberry and raspberry canes, a gooseberry bush , rhubarb , loads of strawberry plants and a herb section with chives,parsley, rosemary and whatever else I can get to grow,.
I found spring onions very easy and you can really pack them in a pot as well Laughing
I found carrots really easy too, you just need very sandy soil to get them to grow straight (I just added bags of sand to mine) but the slugs and snails love them Rolling Eyes
Green beans were another one that grew well and lettuces Shocked they grow super fast and we ended up with too many Laughing Tomatoes and cucumbers though we had no luck with Question
My mum always used to grow tomatoes indoors in grow bags though , i'm just not keen on the smell Question Laughing
If we move to somewhere with a bigger garden where I can have a good sized veg plot then I'll give it a go again as the veg was lovely, especially home grown potatoes and the carrots Very Happy
tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:40 am 
Post subject:
You might be interested in today's groupon deal then Smile

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/manchester-special/GardeningExpresscouk/17133526

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:22 pm 
Post subject:
Well my basil seeds have made shoots already and I only planted them 3 days ago, just planted some strawberry seeds (plucked from some strawberries I ate for lunch) and I've planted some dwarf sunflower seeds too, it will be nice to have a little jungle in my kitchen I think. I really do love this growing indoors malarkey Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular