Is it possible?

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:30 am 
Post subject: Is it possible?
My friend has been confiding with me about ttc after knowing all our problems. She says she's been off any form of contraception for 2.5 years and been actively trying for the last year. She's currently on day 46 and has always had regular 28 day cycles, longest ever being 31. She has taken numerous tests which have been negative, and been to the doctors for blood tests which has also said negative. She has now been referred for an ultrasound next week, and I think she is quite hopeful that all the tests have been wrong. She says she 'feels different' and doesn't have any signs of AF making an appearance.
Is is possible though that she could be pregnant even with a negative blood test? She says she has read stories of women on forums who have only found out they were pregnant from the scan. I know I can only be there for her either way, but just curious.

xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:48 am 
Post subject:
A blood test would almost certainly pick up the HCG (well a quantative one would ), some women get constant negatives on urine tests for a variety of reasons, from not secreting HCG in their urine to something called the hook effect with very high levels, but the quantative blood HCG test measures the exact levels of HCG in the bloodstream, 5 and under is considered a normal baseline level ,and would indicate a negative,
when it comes to positives though it's a bit more complicated because different docs and hospitals have different levels they consider to be a definate positive ,
I've seen anything from 10-25 so depending on her exact levels and when she had it done, it is possible she was early in pregnancy and just had lowish levels still and they could say it was a negative Question
If her level was 5 or less though then its very unlikely , and she could just be feeling different because she might not have ov'd this cycle, which could explain the lack of AF yet as well Question
Another possibility could be that she did ov very late so wasn't actually pregnant when she was testing or was so early it wouldn't have shown yet Confused xx
xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for your reply. Googled it and came up with the same, does seem to be very very rare. But guess there is always one! I feel as desperate to know as if it was me. Guess I'll have to wait for Tuesday.

xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:37 am 
Post subject:
Well I hope she's one of the rare ones that does turn out to be pregnant, will be keeping my fingers crossed for her for tuesday xx
Lexismum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:58 pm 
Post subject:
My friend was ttc an wasnt having periods. Docs tested her for all kinds, when she went for scan they saw a sac an told ger to go home an do pg test Smile So you never know xx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular