Any car boot sale experts?

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:47 pm 
Post subject: Any car boot sale experts?
In preparation for our LOs arrival, and converting the spare room into a nursery, we've finally finished clearing everything out I think. Had a few trips to the tip, and now planning on going to a car boot sale.

Everything that I want to go is currently all together in the spare room, but want to get as organised as possible with it. Wanting to go to the car boot 2 weeks today. Have a LOT of books and dvds (which I'm aware don't sell great), quite a few soft toys, some electrical items, games and a few household things.

Has anyone got any advice on how best to display things? Do I need boxes, and would a supermarket supply me with any? What do I use to price things up? I've heard you're meant to take small change, how much and where do I get it from?

Sorry for all the questions, but never been to one, and really want to get everything gone that day so we can start thinking about decorating!

xx

Faerydae
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:54 pm 
Post subject:
not an expert really... but I'd say things like the books and DVDs yeah display in boxes (not sure if a supermarket will give you any, no harm in asking) and then things like the toys etc display in the boot from large items at the back to small items at the front.

small change you should just be able to get from a bank if you take £10 or so in and just ask if they can swap it for various change Smile
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:13 pm 
Post subject:
We did quite a few last year, my friend had 3 pasting tables which we put up across the back of the 2 cars, then put dust sheets on the floor under the tables to put stuff on.

I put stuff in boxes and labelled it up, (baby clothes by size and price) other things just in boxes on the floor.

My friend laid stuff out on the tables, and bigger stuff on the floor. It really depends on getting people who rummage though. A lot of people just walk past and only look if something grabs there eye.

Also beware of people who try and buy off you as soon as you get there, as they will get it cheap and then go and sell it on.

I put my loose change in a tub, and then just dip into that for car boots. I would say about £10 of pound coins, and a couple of pounds of 5's, 10's, 20's and 50's. And a couple of 5 and 10 pund notes, as you will get someone come up with a twenty to buy a 50p item!

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:14 pm 
Post subject:
cant help on boxes though, as I 'borrowed' mine from work Laughing

teehopes
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:40 pm 
Post subject:
Hello

I am not an expert althrough OH is Laughing he has done them his whole life fro being about 7 with his dad and we spent about 2 years of our lives doing car boots - he used to buy stuff and sell it on etc, the last year or so as his business has taken off we havent had time to do them (as we do enjoy them Embarassed )

I would suggest not marking things with a price as it stops people asking you how much things are, you can make prices up as you go along then, if people have to ask you how much you can lead them into a sale Laughing if they ask they are interested Wink

Put the better stuff on your tables so it draws peoples attention to your stuff, with books put the better ones to the front so people look and dvds stack them side on either in a box or on the table so people can see the titles.

Just take a few pound coins and 50ps in a money bag about £10 worth

Also take carrier bags and plenty of them Smile

Do beware of early morning sellers they are a pain in the [*CENSORED*] (thats my OH Embarassed Laughing ) just dont let them bully you into a sale that your not happy with

Also if its all stuff you really want to get rid of if anyone shows an interest in something but you feel you arent happy with what they offer you have to think you dont want it anynmore its much better to go to someone that wants it for a but less and you dont want to take it home with you! Wink

If you really want to get rid of everything dont be too high priced on things like we went to one yesterday and got loads of dvds for £2 each thats quite a reasonable price for second hand and books am afraid unless really new only about £1-2 each.

Its just about dispalying things right and also have fun Very Happy

we are waiting for our big one to come back on as we have accumalated a garage full of stuff due to OH Rolling Eyes

I do miss them slightly it was good fun although I LOVE the lie ins every sunday haha xx
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:22 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you so much. I am surprised at the price of dvds Teebs, I was expecting to sell them for £1, so £2 would be great. Expected about that for books. Will try and get hold of some boxes and carrier bags in the next 2 weeks.

Yeah thought that about accepting low prices just to get rid of things. Tbh anything that doesn't sell will probably stay in the car and go to the charity shop the next day. Once it's out of the house I don't want it back in.

xx

EmzandFlick
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:54 pm 
Post subject:
I would love to do a car boot but worried that I will still end up taking some of it back home Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular