Bicornuate Uterus

Chloal
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:43 pm 
Post subject: Bicornuate Uterus
Hi
I am currently pregnant with my 2nd child and have a bicornuate uterus. It didn't cause any problems this time or last time with the actual pregnancy, but I had a pre term delivery at 33+3. Little one was absolutely fine and weighed a very healthy 5 pounds 5 ounces, and was monitored in NICU for a little while. The shape of the uterus wasnt picked up on until the emergency csec that I had and from the drawings i have seen in my medical notes, they said that it wasn't a severe mis shape.

This pregnancy has been straightforward so far (touch wood) and I am just over 18 weeks. Saw my consultant on New Years Eve and he is encouraging me to have natural delivery providing that the baby isn't breech again. However he said most often babies in a bicornuate uterus are breech and will be a csec if thats the case.

I suppose I am just looking for any advice from you ladies out there that have the same issue with uterus and have had second/third etc child and how was it? Did you manage to carry any longer than the first pregnancy? Did you have breech babies? Did you have any issues with pregnancy? Csec or natural labour?

Sorry for all the questions, I just think I would like to hear from someone els that has gone through it. the consultant was very nice, but quite matter of fact lol.

Thanks Very Happy
XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:00 pm 
Post subject:
I have a love heart shaped uterus.. I dont know if thats the same thing. I had my daughter at 37 weeks and had a very quick and easy labour, apart form a really bad bleed afterwards all was fine with a massage and that injection. I am currently pregnant with my second and today I have started getting braxton and hicks (i didnt get them until 17/18 weeks with Ava so I am also wondering if my second will come early without complications. I'm sure you can have an easy labour without problems my friends mum has a bicornate uterus and she had 2 natural delveries xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:38 pm 
Post subject:
So glad to hear other people have a bicornuate uterus. Mine is heart shaped also, it was discovered at 7 weeks due to a large bleed and I then had several further massive bleeds up until 15 weeks believed to be due to my uterus. I was pretty lucky with Lola because she was embedded in the exact place a baby shouldn't in a bicornuate uterus (as in I could have lost her if she hadn't of fallen to the bottom of the uterus which she later did).
Anyway, I have only had Lola so couldn't tell you anything you are wanting to know but she was breech also, and I had a c-section. Let us know how you get on, I'd love to have more children once I'm a qualified midwife and would want a natural delivery, I hope you get one!! Xx
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:25 pm 
Post subject:
Avasmummy, its nice to hear that you and your friends mum have had natural deliveries. I am keeping my fingers crossed for one to be honest, I just keep fingers crossed that baby manages to turn.

Hayley - I didn;t realise that the baby could embed somewhere they shouldn't? My scans have all shown that baby is ok, and I have been really lucky not to have had any bleeds this time at all. With my first pregnancy I had a small bleed at 8 and then 10 wks. Frightened the life out of me. From the feelings that I have started getting, I believe that the baby is at the bottom of my uterus as I am getting movements right in the middle at the bottom of stomach, almost around the same area as prev csec scar is.
hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:33 pm 
Post subject:
Aww brilliant that's the best place for baby!
Yes, Lola was in the top left or right horn of my uterus and her placenta was in the other horn as they called it, I wasn't aware at the time but staying there I would have lost her as she would have had absolutely no room to grow! My last bleed around 15 weeks was massive and would have made you think the worst, this was her and my placenta dropping to the bottom of my womb, where you're describing your little one is now!
Do you experience a lot of discomfort in your pregnancies? I was practically bed bound as my bump was so painful and I found it painful to walk, I assumed this was due to my womb as there was nothing else wrong :S xx
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:41 pm 
Post subject:
The consultant looked at my prev Preg notes earlier in the week and the consultant that had carried out my cases had drawn a pic of the uterus shape. I am lucky that I don't have a severe dip, just very mild mis shaping but enough for my little boy to have been on my left hand side throughout the later stages of the pregnancy. I didn't really feel a lot of movements from him as also had anterior placenta. This time placenta is at the bottom, another thing that will determine a csec if it doesn't move out of the way of cervix opening.

I experienced mainly discomfort in hips at night and ended up sleeping mostly upright with a bed full of pillows. Other half was relegated to spare bed bless him, wouldn't have associated that discomfort with heart shaped uterus though. In the past couple of days I have felt a kind of pressure down low, like something was pressing on my lady bits Rolling Eyes

Bet you majorly panicked with the bleed, I know I did with little ones in the early weeks. I do find myself constantly worrying about early labour at the mo, I know there is nothing I can do about it but just want little one to stay in there for as long as poss x
hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 pm 
Post subject:
Ahh you see on all my scans you could see a vague heart shape surrounding Lola! Looked cute! Haha
I don't think Lola was ever on one side more, my heart shape stretched out (its come back though I've been scanned since) but I felt like there wasn't enough room in there, she was 7lb 13oz so a healthy size but it was like my bump was a rock, I think that's why I was in so much pain and yes I ended up sleeping sat up propped by pillows quite early on!
If it makes you feel any better I was still no where near ready to have Lola when I had my section, it never crossed my mind she could be early although I feel I had pretty awful care at st marys and every hospital I went to (4 in total due to bleeding) had no clue of what a bicornuate uterus even was :S xx
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:52 pm 
Post subject:
Oh and my placenta covered my cervix but moved around 0.5mm each week until it was mostly out of the way Smile
I only had a section because I turned my upper half to talk to my partner (forgetting I was pregnant stupidly) and Lola went footling breech, very painful! Xx
Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:00 pm 
Post subject:
Just touching base again with a worry.......
I wondered from those ladies with a bicornuate uterus, what kinds of movements do you get from baby? My days vary in how active baby seems to be, for instance today I have had less movements than normal. I checked heart beat with Doppler this morning and sounded ok?
But I don't get strong kicks or jabs, it's more like a rolling, pushing sensation? Is that because they hiding have much room in there due to the shape? Baby has hiccups and I normally feel those down really really low. Last week I was worried and went in to be checked and was out on a trace and all was fine, but I am stressing out lots over the pregnancy. I just want to know that everything that I feel or don't feel is normal?
hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:35 pm 
Post subject:
Glad everything is going okay Smile
Movement was very normal with Lola I'm guessing. As she was footling breach, I had lots of toes scratching down below (ouch!) And her whole body would constantly be turning (I'm guessing it wwasnt very comfy in there with a big dip!). If you're ever worried have an ice cold fizzy drink, lay on your side, or even drop something on the floor to startle baby, if not go to your triage, they never mind!! Xxx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular