Pain control and informed consent!

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:58 pm 
Post subject:
I think most midwives point out the pain relief available without really pointing out the risks.. I'm quite grateful for this post.. I'll definitely be refusing pethedine this time.. X
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 pm 
Post subject:
Aww I'm glad!!
I had pretty awful midwives who just checked Lola was okay and sent me off so I guess by doing this project I'm hoping will help me to become a good midwife, I think some have lost their passion for midwifery and its a shame because its such an amazing thing to go through, I can't wait to experience helping other women! Xx
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 pm 
Post subject:
I just wanted to mention that pethidine is NOT bad pain control. If used sensibly, I.e not within the hour of pushing baby out then it is used safely however if used close to giving birth it MAY give possible side effects such as depressing the babys lungs (there is an injection to reverse its effects for baby) and mum can fall asleep and often miss the first few moments of skin to skin.
I just don't want people to refuse it based on false information, there are positive experiences of pethidine also! Smile xx
Posted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:26 pm 
Post subject:
All done
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:44 am 
Post subject:
Everyone I know who's had pethidine didn't like it Question Mainly because it made them very sleepy, for me it made me feel drunk Embarassed Laughing I think in a long drawn out labour where the woman needs some sleep it might help, but if you're the control freak type (like me) who wants to concentrate on breathing and feeling in control then I found I really didn't like the way I was on it Question
I think its great that you do want womens opinions though to help you be a better midwife Smile There do seem to be some out there who con't care , I've had a couple myself who made me wonder why they were even in the job Question As they didn't even seem to like other women Rolling Eyes
A good midwife though can make a birth a really positive experience for a woman Smile
MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:25 pm 
Post subject:
DL05 wrote:
There do seem to be some out there who con't care , I've had a couple myself who made me wonder why they were even in the job

I had one of these last time after I'd had the baby when I was finally moved to mat ward... didn't read my notes, didn't check me and ended up having to be pumped back up full of BP drugs quickly to start me from going into seizure

xx

keltru
Posted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:49 pm 
Post subject:
I have to say that I had pethidine and loved it! I wanted to push from 8cm and felt quite out of control. I found that it just helped me to rest well in between contractions and it was just what I needed. Emilia was born blowing bubbles with her eyes wide open so she wasn't knocked out at all. Luckily at my midwife-run ante-natal classes we discussed all of the different pain-relief options and all of the pros and cons. I guess that I was just really lucky with the care that I received. I think the information definitely needs to be given prior to labour and birth though cos it's really hard to ensure adequate information gets through when the patient is in extreme pain. Good luck with the assignment x x

happyhell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:16 pm 
Post subject:
done! xx
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
survey done
hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:24 pm 
Post subject:
If there are any more of you who wouldn't mind filling out my questionnaire on the first page i would be ever so grateful. Thanks xxx
Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:01 pm 
Post subject:
done Smile
Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:21 pm 
Post subject:
thank you lovely Smile xx
Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:51 pm 
Post subject:
Done Very Happy

15.08.09 Gone but never forgotten
An angel in the book of life wrote down my baby's birth, then whispered as she closed the book "Too beautiful for Earth"
kayleyfluffybabyBUM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:57 pm 
Post subject:
Done Smile
Zacky was born June 26th 2011
Pip was born October 17th 2012
Spencer was born 5th August 2013 (6 weeks early)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular