milk allergy??

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:38 am 
Post subject: milk allergy??
I am wondering if my son might.have a milk.allergy! he has the symptoms of fussyness, stuffy nose when feeding, strange rash that docs first said was thrush then a skin infection but it is not clearibg up. It almost looks like a burn mark on his chest and neck then red parches on his legs and tummy, not putting on weight and not feeding enough and his tummy makes very strange.noises.

O am waiting for a cons appointment because of his lack.of weight gain. He has dropped two and a half centiles since birth.

If it could be a milk allergy i dont want to wait for a hospital app. Is it safe to put him on a different formula. I have read soy are not the best ones but something to do with formulas and amino acids.

Any advice appreciated. I have a dairy intolerance so i wouldnt be surprised if he does xx

Bella83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:13 am 
Post subject:
Can you have a word with the health visitor or get him in to the doctors for a 2nd opinion ?

ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:15 am 
Post subject:
The hv said i had to speak to the doc and.now he has been referred to a consultant the doc wont comment either! Xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:35 am 
Post subject:
You can buy lactose free milk from chemists if you think it might be that causing the problem Question
There are different reasons for true milk allergies though so it might not help, but then again if it can't do any harm it might be worth a go while you wait for the consultant ? My nephew was given soy milk , he was a lot like your baby, he got terrible eczema that looked almost like burns , he wasn't gaining and was often sick and seemed miserable and in pain, the soy milk made him sick as well though and as you say its not recommended really now for babies,but it did help clear up his other symptoms and the eczema, I can't see why trying him on a lactose free milk would do any harm, they do say try not to change formulas but if the one you're using is upsetting his stomach then surely its better to try a different one that might help ?
You can even get formulas made from goats milk online which is supposed to be naturally anti allergenic Question I'd presume they couldn't sell it if it hadn't been tested Question
Really cows milk isn't designed at all for babies so its no wonder so many seem to have a reaction to it in some way but babies can also be allergic to certain proteins in it and for that you need prescription formula . Any brand you can find in a chemist though will be safe as in it will have had to conform to strict standards x
ELP1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 am 
Post subject:
Hi.nat thanks foryour reply. I have researched it a bit and still not sure what to do! Like u said it womt hurt to try another formula but i.have had real issues so far and had to change quite a few times because of bad runs then constipation.

I am not keen on soy based formulas but i.need to do something soon. I am still waiting for a letter from the doc with the phone no and reference no to make the appointment.

He is happy in himself most the time but i have been.getting more episodes of being upset and he is becoming more.clingy and sleeping a lot.....during the day xx

Nikki77
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:04 am 
Post subject:
Hi, my 3 year old has dairy and soya allergy. He is 4 this year and has been having problems since he was 9 months when I stopped breast feeding him but until recently I never was given any definate answers. He has been on and off dairy since 9 months and his symptoms got slightly better so we plodded on but then last year things got worse, blood in his poo etc so is not back under a consultant and they have finally discovered its dairy and soya.
He had lots of different symptoms, a rash on his face and chest when he had milk, was violently sick after eating, weight loss, bloated tummy, he would poo over 10 times a day and had blood.
All I can say is if u suspect then really push to get your LO checked out as the sooner its diagnosed the better x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular