RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:20 pm 
Post subject: baffled..
Random pointless post alert..

I'm getting quite handy at these lol!

But I downloaded the baby bump app for my phone to track my pregnancy progress and there's a group/forum.. And most people on it are American... Ive lost count of the amount of people posting about getting checks and sweeps from 36 weeks and complaining they are only 2 cm dilated etc and getting induced at 39 week's because of it etc...

It baffles me! I was checked aafter a full day of contractions with my first at just a cm dilated and gave birth the next morning.. At 6 day's overdue! I dont understand why they get checked so early/ often and we get left till 40 weeks before they offer a membrane sweep or kind of assistance...

Like I said pointless post.. Just cant understand why general practice seems so different in US compared to UK...
Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:39 pm 
Post subject:
I completely agree. I watch a lot of American birth programmes and find myself shouting at the t.v when someone goes to an appointment with their 'gyno' to tell them they're sick of being fat and wish to be induced at 37 weeks.
To be fair though I bet they think we're pretty naïve or whatever for going overdue, etc!
I'm guessing its something to do with them paying for their healthcare directly so its like going to the shops, their gyno does as the 'customer' wants.
Its no wonder the statistics for assisted births in America are so high.
Teen mom for example, the midwives were always asking 'when' the girls wanted an epidural and not offering any range of pain relief or perhaps consider they may not want it, its just a matter of when :S
Strange place! X
Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:28 pm 
Post subject:
Thats something else aswell the amount of people posting they are in labour and cm and 80% effaced and got their epidural.. And people asking when to get it.. Not if they should...

It's maybe just a personal choice but I'd rather go naturally and not be induced or have an epidural.. If I could.. They all get brought before/on their due date too? And get put on the drip to help things along??? I dont know lol..
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:26 am 
Post subject:
I know what you mean i think the same.

I think its coz they pay in America so the gyno does what the person wants and makes loas of money from it.

They seem to offer epidurals over there as if it were gas and air!

If you watch maternity ward its very scary how many of them end up needing assistance. I think ive only ever seen 1 lady have a midwife and not an ob/gyno

Teen mom makes me mad too, like you say they go for a check up and r examined and told they r 1cm. They all seem to be induce early as well. They only have to ask an they get it. Here you be laughed out the surgery if you asked to be induced early coz you were fed up!

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:57 am 
Post subject:
Its such a stupid thing to do because then they're only given a specific amount of time to push the baby out before they need a section. But they're obviously not going to make it because their bodies were not ready before the intervention so sure won't be afterwards!
It makes me laugh how they see a section too, like its a necessary step if their early intervention does not work. Its their own fault!!! I had a section and they aren't pretty!! I'll be pushing out a breach next time if that's what it comes to!
They're at each extreme though because they're currently fighting for home birth also (as are we) but their home birth is way more intense than ours. They need to find a happy medium!

Jump to:  

Community

Popular