I need advice about a bottle cleaning issue

Lon08
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 pm 
Post subject: I need advice about a bottle cleaning issue
I need some advice. My boyfriend lives with his friends who have a 5 month old. His friends are not the cleanest of people and I'm concerned about their bottle cleaning habits. When I come over I often see stacks of dirty bottle in the sink. Also it smells like something is is going bad as soon as I walk in the apartment. It's worse by the sink where the bottles are sitting. They have not been rinsed out either. A few times I saw mold growing in the bottles. I have talked to my boyfriend about it. He said not to say anything. Should I bring up that I'm concerned about the bottles sitting for days in the sink with left over formula or should I stay quiet? If I bring it up what would be the polite way to bring the subject up?
sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:39 am 
Post subject:
I would bring it up. I would never be able to keep quiet about something like that Smile xxx

Lon08
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:01 am 
Post subject:
sweetpea24 wrote:
I would bring it up. I would never be able to keep quiet about something like that Smile xxx

Thank you sweetpea24. It has been hard keeping quiet about it. I just don't want to come off as me trying to tell someone how to parent or make it seem like I'm calling them a bad parent. My boyfriend has known them for years and I've known them for 2. Do you have any suggestions how to go about this in a polite way?
sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:23 am 
Post subject:
Hmm, normally I wouldn't say anything, but this is something I really don't like... Would your boyfriend not say something to his friend?
Are you ever around when its time to give the baby a bottle? Offer to make the bottle and then ask how, where's the bottle, formula etc...
Then ask shouldn't you first sterilise the bottle?? Or talk to the Mom about babies etc.. and bring up then that you heard (do you have your own kids?) that bottles should be sterilised and even when kids have passed age of needing bottles to be sterilised, they should be ALOT cleaner then the ones in the sink..
sorry, its really difficult, its never nice when someone "cristises" how you do something with your kids.
Just do your best to bring it up naturally as possible in the conversation - else OH has to tell his friend! Smile
Good luck. xxx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:42 am 
Post subject:
It can be quite hard telling people how to do things, and they may not take your advice too well.

Someone I knew used to make her son's bottle up to 8oz, and he would only feed 2 or 3, so then she would warm it up again fo rhis next feed, then when there was only 1 or 2oz left she would make up a fresh bottle to the difference and tip it in. When another friend commented that she shouldnt be doing this, she said 'it saves me making fresh bottles up all the time, and its not hurting him' yet her kid was always sick, and our mutual friend would mention that she had often seen them in the doctors again.

Lon08
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:05 am 
Post subject:
sweetpea24 wrote:
Hmm, normally I wouldn't say anything, but this is something I really don't like... Would your boyfriend not say something to his friend?
Are you ever around when its time to give the baby a bottle? Offer to make the bottle and then ask how, where's the bottle, formula etc...
Then ask shouldn't you first sterilise the bottle?? Or talk to the Mom about babies etc.. and bring up then that you heard (do you have your own kids?) that bottles should be sterilised and even when kids have passed age of needing bottles to be sterilised, they should be ALOT cleaner then the ones in the sink..
sorry, its really difficult, its never nice when someone "cristises" how you do something with your kids.
Just do your best to bring it up naturally as possible in the conversation - else OH has to tell his friend! Smile
Good luck. xxx

I do not have kids. However, I come from a large family. I have taken care of my younger sister, younger cousins and children of my older cousins. Much of the what I have learn has came from my mom, aunts and older cousins.i joined the site to ask for insight from parents or even see if anyone has ever had an experience with a similar situation

I will your advice and offer to help. In the past I have washed the dirty bottles for them. But maybe I will offer when the parents are around. The father of the baby is my boyfriends best friend. He doesn't take offense but the mother of the baby might. I'll try to work it in the conversation discreetly that way I don't sound like I'm criticizing or judging them. It is their first child. As far as I know they did not have that much hands on experience with babies.

Thank you. Smile
Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:37 pm 
Post subject:
it might be they simply do not know any better. IMO there was a lot of help and advice on how to breastfeed but not a single bit of advice on bottle feeding. The world health Organisation has a poster you can print off the clearly explains how to prepare a bottle. Maybe you could print that off and go over it with them? not sure how exactly but a simple poster might be what they need as a daily reminder?
I may have read your post wrong but surely as long as the bottles and teats are sterilised before use, does it really matter if there are a few bottles sitting with dregs of milk in for a day?
Janey1983
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:39 pm 
Post subject:
http://www.who.int/foodsafety/publications/micro/PIF_Bottle_en.pdf
this might be the link terrible internet here so it has not loaded on my pc, hope this helps
tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:36 am 
Post subject:
why don't you make up some story you've read (this is what I do when I want to be pointed to someone about something without coming across as telling them what to do).

Why not say something like 'has the HV talked to you about new advice they giving about formula fed babies', then say something like jeeeesh they always wanting to give new advice aren't they, but apparantly this one has come from an increased percentage of babies being taken to hospital with stomach problems from their bottles not been sterilized after every feed.

Something like that is how I would approach.

Goodluck

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:25 am 
Post subject:
If the bottles are sitting for days in the sink then what is the baby being fed with? If I saw mold in a bottle I'd just pick it up and say hey, have you saw this in the bottle? I'd say that was the easiest way.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular