Blood tests

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:52 pm 
Post subject: Blood tests
I have been to the doctor today about my missed period and he has done a blood test form. he said that they will make sure I am definitely not pregnant and a general health check, but I will have to fast.

I have got the form and it only requests a Full blood count, and ESR (which according to google is to do with checking for inflamation and infection)

i cant see anything that suggests these tests will indicate pregnancy? wouldnt that need to be specific HCG test? and with fasting that is normally to do with blood sugar levels and they are not testing that? (doctor did mention diabetes)

xxHeathxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:54 pm 
Post subject:
Hmmm, sounds like he could have filled the form in wrong :/

x

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:18 am 
Post subject:
I'd just ask when you take it in, normally a pregnancy test should be seperately indicated, I had full bloods done a bit ago and HCG wasn't a routine thing on it , but at our docs the nurses do the test and they can access the computer to see why the docs requested it so maybe if yours can do the same they'll just add it on if its missing ?
They also do fasting for other things like cholesterol , I had to fast for mine and it was initial more to check my thyroid and general health than anything x
kayleyfluffybabyBUM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:25 pm 
Post subject:
I never got a form for a HCG test so I would assume that's not part of the form you were given that will be separate
Zacky was born June 26th 2011
Pip was born October 17th 2012
Spencer was born 5th August 2013 (6 weeks early)
steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:43 am 
Post subject:
I had the blood test done at the hospital, as most doctors surgeries round here are stopping it now, but he did put on the form the reason for the tests. The form was also weird, it was just a printed A4 page, with my details, doctors details, reason for test and type of test. Last time i had a blood test (not in pregnancy) it had 3 coloured boxes at the bottom for different types of test and the doctor ticked what he wanted. I noticed some people at the hospital had these forms, and some were just plain paper, so I guess it depends on the doctor.

He said to go back in 2 weeks to have a follow up, but im guessing if anything shows up on the blood tests they will phone me?

keltru
Posted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:20 pm 
Post subject:
At the hospital where I work we can request bloods online so don't need to use a hand written tick form - doing it this way prints off an A4 sheet with your details on it. Sometimes if the system is down or people are not up to speed/ technophobes then they still used the hand-written tick-the-box style forms! X x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular