To sweep or not to sweep..

XxAvasmummyxX
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:48 am 
Post subject: To sweep or not to sweep..
Im booked in for a sweep in 7 days time but not sure whether to have it or not. I dont want my waters artificially broken. Is there a chance if this happening when having a sweep?

My worry is once waters have gone they only give you 18 hours and im having a homebirth so woukd be a shame to be taken to hospital based on time elapsed on waters breaking.

What do you ladies think.. should I have it or not? Xx

Clairebell29
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:02 am 
Post subject:
I've never heard of waters being broken with a sweep, check with your midwife. The sweep got things moving for me.
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:02 am 
Post subject:
I guess it all depends on how much you have your heart set on your home birth hun. Xx

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:23 pm 
Post subject:
I've heard in the past that if waters are broken during a sweep it can be because they were bulging however i've also heard midwives have done this to get their own way, whether its true or not i dont know.
I'd have a sweep, if your waters do go its your choice what happens next xx
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:13 pm 
Post subject:
I think what I'll do is wait until nearer 42 weeks to have it done just incase as once your waters go they only give you 18 hours before dragging you into hospital and I really dont want that, plus I want to do everything totally natural and you just never know she might sneakily try and break my waters thinking it will speed things up and do more harm than good xx

steph181
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:43 pm 
Post subject:
I cant see how they would break your water during a sweep as they use a hook to break them, and when they did mine they struggled, so cant see a finger doing it Question

amesymc
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:49 pm 
Post subject:
My waters were bulging at my sweep and they didn't break until I was 9cm x

[/url]
mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:19 pm 
Post subject:
Mind didn't go during a sweep - you get 48 hours after they do go here though so different hospitals might needs more choice. I find the idea of a midwife wanting to get their own way a bit perverse!
famiah
Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:37 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

I have never had a sweep, but my first pregnancy started with my waters breaking before any contractions and it was the longest 2 days of my life till baby was born.

I would say the natural process of having contractions first and then your waters breaking sound easier. all my friends who had babies said their waters broke just before they gave birth and sounded alot more pleasant than my labour.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular