Pregnancy Tests..

gembo12344
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:29 pm 
Post subject: Pregnancy Tests..
Hello all i was just wondering as you go through pregnancy will it still show up on a test? If not around what week of pregnancy will it stop showing up positive? Any information is appreciated Xx
Xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 am 
Post subject:
There's no set time when it won't show on a test, for most women it always will, sometimes though you can have such high levels something called the hook effect happens which basically means it will overwhelm the test and you get a false negative, I think it's pretty rare though Smile
Last time I was pregnant I didn't test for the first time until 13 1/2 weeks as I didn't think I could be and got an instant positive so as levels of HCG peak between weeks 8-11 and then fall off and then level out for the rest of the pregnancy so I think I can safely say I would have had a pos even if I'd tested later Smile
Similar thing in my first pregnancy where my GP did a test when I was at least 12 weeks pregnant and it came back positive .
If you're getting negatives though but really think you might be pregnant then a blood test should show for sure because sometimes women just don't secrete the HCG in their urine, it can happen out of the blue in just one pregnancy even if you've never had it happen before of course if that happens then there's nothing for the home test to pick up but it would still be there in your blood, I can appreciate though that many docs now will just say if a home test says no you're not pregnant and be very reluctant to do bloods, I have seen ads for private blood pregnancy tests though but I bet they're pricey Question x
michelletv
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:02 am 
Post subject:
i'm not sure like yourself, but i would love to know if this is the case. quite interesting if there are other woman who have tested through their pregnancies.
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:07 am 
Post subject:
All 4 times I've been pg (only carried 2 to term), I have got negatives (or very very very feint positives) from around 9 weeks. Scared the jeebies out of me each time, I did a lot of research on this and it seems perfectly normal, even the mw told me off for keep testing, she said that after about week 6, a HPT is not a reliable way to check if you have a viable pregnancy.

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:18 am 
Post subject:
Oh forgot to say that with the hook effect actually watering down the pee sample should mean you get a positive Laughing sounds wrong I know but because the problem is too much HCG then it should work by bringing it into the range the test can pick up, and also as levels peak at 8-11 weeks then that's when you're most likely to have the hook effect happen ( which could be what was happening to you Trace ?) xx
tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:46 am 
Post subject:
DL05 wrote:
Oh forgot to say that with the hook effect actually watering down the pee sample should mean you get a positive Laughing sounds wrong I know but because the problem is too much HCG then it should work by bringing it into the range the test can pick up, and also as levels peak at 8-11 weeks then that's when you're most likely to have the hook effect happen ( which could be what was happening to you Trace ?) xx

yeah maybe Smile xx

Beckylouisexx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:56 pm 
Post subject:
Maybe speak to your GP hun & see what they say? They might be able to take blood from you to completely put your mind at rest? xx

gembo12344
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hello all, thanks for replies only just seen them... As previously posted I keep getting kicking feelings and they feel a bit stronger! it might just be my mind in overdrive but ive become really tired again and getting headaches too. Ive done two tests now (Last one taken last week) and they came out negative, I really would like a blood test done but like said they might say well if its not showing up on a test then its most likely negative. I don't know what to do should I just wait and see if I get more symptoms (if I do that is) or go to docs and explain see what they say?
I feel like im going mad! I think the only way that will rest my mind is either a blood test or AF coming Confused Xxx

tracebumfluffwhy
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:31 pm 
Post subject:
How late are you?

I'd wait until you are at least 2 weeks late and then book in to see gp. Good luck Smile

gembo12344
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:51 pm 
Post subject:
Im not late as I was due depo injection on 10/07 but didn't go.. but the last injection I had in april was really strange. Im don't think theres a possibility of doing the injection wrong but it made me feel completely different to when ive had them before plus it was my usually nurse it was a doctor that had to do it. So just don't know what to think, it might just be my horomones playing tricks on me as they will be all over the place at the min. So just don't want to sound an idiot if I go to docs and ask them for a blood test.. xx

DL05
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:58 am 
Post subject:
It's not totally unheard of to get pregnant on the Depo every contraception has a failure rate and for the Depo its about 1 % certain meds can affect it, so can your weight, and some women do start to ov towards the time the next one's due as the levels drop in your blood over the 12 weeks so you might be slightly more likely to get pregnant around then Question and if you had got pregnant in April then you could possibly be far enough now to feel movement, but I understand why you might not want to see your GP yet as they do tend to look at you like you're crazy if you suggest anything even slightly outside their little GP bubble world Rolling Eyes some of them can't even accept that not every woman ov's on cd14 never mind that home pregnancy tests don't always show up positive .
But even if they didn't want to do a blood test if you were that far pregnant they would be able to feel it just from examining you externally, I was told I was at least 3 months with one of mine after an external exam and turned out to be 13 + 4 on a scan the same day so they can tell from around then even though when I was stood up my stomach was still perfectly flat Question
Maybe go and tell them you've not felt right for months and your periods not back and you're experiencing some strange feeling (or even pains)and he might examine your abdomen then at least you'd know if it was possible Question
Or try doing a test with a watered down sample and see if that makes a difference Question
I know there's a place near me that does private pregnancy blood tests for £74 (Manchester area) and you can get hormone profiles done as well, but your GP might do that for you if you tell them you don't feel right ? Hope you get some answers soon though it must be driving you nuts xx
gembo12344
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:10 am 
Post subject:
Yeah i might do that and just try and explain how im feeling.. Its never failed me before and i was on it 3 years before.. So in my head i just think surely it shouldnt fail me now. My hormones are just all over the place and making me feel like this i think. Ive bever wanted to ser AF as much! Lol
Im going to get booked in i think just to put my mind at ease.
Thankyou very much Smile Xx

Beckylouisexx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:00 am 
Post subject:
Good for you Gem Smile You know your own body! If something doesn't feel right go with your gut Smile Its like I know I am so close to ov as i am experiencing little twinges in my lower ab & I feel different this morning & I did a opk today & I can see a faint line appearing where yesterday there wasn't anything so my intuition was right Smile

That would be so cool if you are pg! (I wont be jelous....much Cool Laughing )

Let us know how ya get on hun Smile I have my FX that you get some answers!! xx

gembo12344
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:24 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks hun i will do and really hope you catch that egg!! Really good that ovulation symptoms are clear hopefully makes things much easier for you Very Happy Xxx

juliebarns
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:49 pm 
Post subject:
I don't think that there is a set time for anybody when they can find out for sure if they are pregnant or not. It's just like babies, you can't really diagnose behaviors or certain things because every baby is different. Best of Luck!
---------------------------------------------------
Julie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular