Got our results today!

xtine1985BScHons
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:24 pm 
Post subject: Got our results today!
Well we went to the doctors today to see what our results were, my blood came back fine I ovulated, everything else they checked was normal only problem was my blood sugar was slightly raised but I've just gotta go back in and do a fasting blood test when I spoke to my mum though she said the blood sugar they had quoted was within the normal range considering I'd just had breakfast! And she should know she's a nurse and married to my father who has been diabetic since he was 4! So on my part everything is fine,
My OH results were also fine he has a normal range of sperm 39.4 I think she said, his mobility was borderline normal and there was a normal range of healthy looking ones (it was all a bit confusing!) but basically we're both producing the right things!
Anyway she said that we are both completely fertile and there is no reason why we haven't conceived yet, but I would have thought that there would be more tests she said that I don't need to be referred for anything else and that it might just take us a bit longer to conceive.
I feel so flat on one hand yes I am relieved that we are both fertile but then why haven't we got pregnant yet? How long do we have to wait for this to happen?
So basically I want to ask is our doctor right is there no more tests for us?
Also how can we maximise our chances of getting pregnant, we've both quit smoking, and drinking, I'm losing weight and eating better. We're trying to BD regularly through the month and obviously we step it up to every day during my fertile period and I'm taking folic acid what else can we do? Is there any positions that make things more likely to help us conceive!
Sorry so many questions but this has thrown up so many for us, we were prepared for there being a problem with one of us and then we would just have to accept we wouldn't be able to have children and find a way to get over that and get on with our lives now it feels like we're still stuck in limbo
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:42 pm 
Post subject:
You should be referred to a gynae for an ultrasound to check your womb/ovaries etc. my sister had bloods and told fine ovulating no issues but her scan showed PCOS. She was told that bloods alone are not adequate when looking at things like PCOS because its a syndrome which can present itself differently in each woman.

If your scan came back normal then the next step would be to check your tubes.

I would definitely request more tests. BD every couple of days is your best bet in the meantime!
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:46 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya on top of bloods and SA for DH I have an ultrasound and HSG to check tubes clear and no other issues. Still showed no problems though so could well be there is nothing wrong with you!
nutty1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:50 pm 
Post subject:
Our initial tests at the doctors didnt throw up any problems but we got referred to the fertility clinic at our local hospital (we'd been trying 18 months at this point). We got quizzed about our lifestyles etc.. they then referred my o/h for a more detailed sperm analysis and offered me a lap and dye test to check my tubes to see whether my tubes were open (which they werent). Im surprised you havent been referred tbh as if its been over a year of trying then you fall into a bracket of 'unexplained infertility' which they sometimes offer clomid for etc..

As for what you can do, are you absolutely sure when you ovulate ? I invested in cheap ovululation tests from ebay which pinpointed things exactly for me. Also do you get fertile cervical mucus? It resembles egg whites bit gross but the sperm can swim easily in it during your fertile period. You can do things to increase it like drink more water. Position wise its boring but missionary and try having an orgasm after your o/h has ejaculated as this can kind of draw in the sperm to where it needs to be, also my o/h propped my bum and hips up with a pillow after so I was tilted for a while lol not overly sexy but needs must. I never got up after doing the deed either I just went to sleep.
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:07 pm 
Post subject:
Pretty sure they should at least be doing some sort of tubal patency test(HSG or Hycosy) depending how long you have been trying.
Ultrasound is not done in general on the NHS unless it is indicated.

This is the map of medicine for infertility:

http://healthguides.mapofmedicine.com/choices/map/infertility1.html

There's no timescale on anything though. I can't remember, how long is it you've been trying this time? xx
Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:45 pm 
Post subject:
That's what I thought at the very least they should have referred me to get my tubes checked I would have thought anyway!
We've been trying for just over 2 years we've been talking this evening we're going to spend the next three months throwing everything at it so to speak and then have a bit of a break for a few months get Xmas out the way etc and then go back to the doctor and demand a referral to gynae I guess like I said just feel really flat with it all but we're going to research ways of pushing the chances up and keep our fingers crossed
xx
Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:37 am 
Post subject:
Yeah I'd definitely ask about an HSG, maybe your GP is one of the many who presume that if you already have a child you can't have blocked tubes Rolling Eyes of course that's not true and it's one of the leading causes of secondary infertility.
On paper from the test results me and my OH are both fertile but my only tube is blocked and we could probably try for ever and still not get a BFP Sad
You can have a HSG done privately if you want to, it costs from about 260 to 400 ish depending on your area (the south is more expensive for private treatments) but you get your report there and then so at least you'd know, the NHS should do it though as it's counted as an investigation which even women with children are entitled to, to be honest I'd go back and ask for the referral now, as it can take months for appointments to come through so it could well be after Christmas anyway and if you've been trying for 2 full years with nothing happening then you've certainly waited long enough .
As far as sperm go zinc and selenium are the top two to take and high dose vit C (1000mg)as its a great anti oxidant and helps combat any damage to sperm cells, Vit E, B12 and co enzyme Q10, also essential fatty acids such as omega 3 which you can get from fish oil capsules (also good for lowering your risk of diabetes),some of these might be in a multi vit but some won't as they'd bulk it out to much, or they'd be there but at a lower dose, all of these are also good for eggs which are also just a single cell, because sperm and eggs are just single cells they can be damaged quite easily so anything that helps protect and strengthen them will increase your chances Smile and egg quality is just as important of not more so than sperm quality as you only get one each month Smile Good luck xx
MrsZargon
Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:32 am 
Post subject:
Hi again,

Just read your post about throwing everything you've got at it for a few months so thought I'd mention that I had my Hycosy done privately. They did an ultrasound at the same time and looked at my ovaries/womb etc. as well as injecting the liquid into my tubes to check they were clear so very thorough and said at the beginning that if they opulent get an answer with the Hycosy would have done an HSG there and then so I would definitely go away with some answers. I reckon that if you had the same done that would cover all bases on the testing front. It cost us £360 which is a lot but I really couldn't handle the stress of waiting for the NHS appointment and going through the hit and miss appointment booking system they had and it also meant I could name the date I wanted before ovulating so I didn't have to miss out on trying that month. All in all I'd recommend it, they gave me a full report and a DVD of all the scan pictures to take away so I have them available for any next steps we decide to take - I was also told that having the tube test done actually increases your chances of BFP for a few months as it can clear out any mucus in your tubes so I've got all my fingers crossed for the next few months! Otherwise it's private IVF that would be the next step for us as cant get it funded as we already have a child.

Good luck xxx
xtine1985BScHons
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:44 pm 
Post subject:
Hi MrsZargon
We can't justify the cost of having it done privately to be honest completely understand why you did but it's something that can wait for a little while for us
Thank you all for your advice
xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular