What would you do???

yummymummyof2
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:00 pm 
Post subject: What would you do???
Me and the OH have been having abit of a fall out lately....

Since we met he has always wanted to get a nice car, but has put it off because we fell pregnant, now we have 2 children and are saving up for our wedding.

We are settled in a rented house and have paid off most of the debts we owe, so money wise we are stable.

He has said he wants to get a decent car before we get a mortgage. He said he wants a decent car that will last years, and he wants to get one first because once we have got a house then we wont be able to afford to save up for a car!

This has made me feel mad, I feel like he should just make do with any old car and that saving for our house should be top priority! He said the house is important to him, but if he doesn't get the car first then he never will have one. He said it'll only be about 6 grand Shocked

I don't know what to think or say!!!!!

What would you say? Do you think Im being unreasonable telling him I don't agree? Question
Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:12 pm 
Post subject:
Personally the house would be my main priority. Cars depreciate very quickly and if he needed finance that will push up the price. Who knows what the future holds with regards to what you might afford in the future. I would be saving up for that deposit.

If he is anything like my husband once he gets an idea into his head there is no changing it!
Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:24 pm 
Post subject:
Yes I agree, I've said to him ''dont you think its more important to save up for our deposit? you don't need a fancy car'' .... and he said yes the deposit is important to him... HOWEVER...he is adamant he would like a car before we commit to a mortgage!!
He said if he doesn't then he'll never get one and he will regret it Mad He works 50+ hours a week and has said he would like a nice car to show for it (BMW 5 series is what he's after Shocked )

He sounds abit like your hubby, once he has got an idea in his head there is no changing his mind and he will always try and find good reason for what he is doing Rolling Eyes
Bobski1980
Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:06 pm 
Post subject:
I totally agree with you I would be furious if my husband put a car before a mortgage. We have struggled to save a deposit to get our house and have been renting for years, it felt like it was never going to happen but we finally have our own home. House prices are about to shoot up so I would really be pushing for the house. My husband would live a nice car too I think the same one but thankfully he's prepared to wait. If he takes finance or a loan that will also affect how much you can borrow for a mortgage. Our mortgage payments are the same as our rent so getting a house shouldn't really affect saving for a car after. Good luck I think I would really put my foot down on this one x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular