chronic tension headache??

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:15 pm 
Post subject: chronic tension headache??
Does anyone suffer this??

I'm really at the end of my rope with it.. I was diagnosed a few months ago but I've suffered since Alice was born.. 1 constant headache.. I haven't had a headache free day in almost 5 months..

It's making my short tempered and irrational. I'm struggling day to day because of it..

I am currently taking the second type of medication for it and it's no better the next step is to try amitriptyline which is an anti depressant...

I'm really just looking for someone else's experience cos no-one seems to understand how this is affecting me..

Thanks in advance xx
Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:06 am 
Post subject:
Haven't had experience but I really think amitryptyline will help. It is commonly used for headaches at a low dosage. Are you drinking plenty of fluids? Really hope you get some relief soon. xx

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:03 pm 
Post subject:
Oh gosh that must be awful. Try to reduce your stress which is easier said than done with being a mum. You need time for yourself to relax and I know exercise can help. If you could just once a week go for a walk/swim by yourself!!

In the meantime perhaps the other medication may help to ease your mind until you remedy your stresses.
Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:36 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for your replies.. I'm going to see my go again on Monday..

I have quite an easy time to say I have 3 children I certainly only have certain times of the day where I feel a bit stressed.. Ie trying to get to school in a morning and bath/bedtime. During the day is quiet and slow paced.. I don't feel particularly stressed and the children are in bed at 7 so I have plenty time to wind down... But the headache is unrelenting... I've taken propranalol and I am currently taking pizotifen both are migraine preventers...
Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:45 pm 
Post subject:
could it be a food item that's making it worse?
A friend had similar and was told to stop with the chocolate and citrus fruits and she is loads better.
Not sure if a Dr would help or if you would need private sensitivity testing e.g. Holland & Barrett health food shop does the tests.
Good Luck
StaceyRD
Posted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:21 pm 
Post subject:
How are you doing now Rach? Did you get to the docs? xx

dellabobella
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:34 am 
Post subject:
Could you be sleeping tensely because of having the baby in your room with you (if you do)? Amitrypaline or whatever it's called is fantastic as a pain killer but will knock you out the first few times. I always find my tension headaches are a result of stiff neck muscles and ice at the bottom of my neck helps a lot to relieve this. Also if you don't already wear glasses an eye test could be a good idea.

RachN3Babies
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:33 pm 
Post subject:
dellabobella wrote:
Could you be sleeping tensely because of having the baby in your room with you (if you do)? Amitrypaline or whatever it's called is fantastic as a pain killer but will knock you out the first few times. I always find my tension headaches are a result of stiff neck muscles and ice at the bottom of my neck helps a lot to relieve this. Also if you don't already wear glasses an eye test could be a good idea.

I had my eyes tested 6 weeks after I had the baby.
The pizotifen was making me sleep but I have still not seen any improvement... I went back to my gp this week and he's given me another version of the propranalol..I can't remember the name and referred me to the neurologist but my appointment isn't until November.. Just a case of wait and see I think x

Jump to:  

Community

Popular