Why is DD like this?

sweetpea24
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:03 pm 
Post subject: Why is DD like this?
Hi. DD is now 2yr3m. Always been a pretty good sleeper at night, esp once we got rid of her dummy 3 months ago. Past 2-3 weeks, about 4 nights a week - she is just a nightmare... She wakes up around 1-2am and will scream and scream and scream. I can't see anything wrong with her, she has a nightlight, her kitty, little cuddle blankets etc..
I've tried controlled crying again and again. Sitting with her until she falls asleep doesn't work, as she always senses when we are going and starts to scream again, else she fights to stay awake and can sit on our lap (or lie in her bed) for hours and hours fighting sleep until she passes out from exhaustion.
I put her to bed 30min ago and she is just screaming... I've been up twice.
She usually wakes up at 7am, goes to bed around 19:30-20:00. Has one nap in the afternoon. Sometimes one hour, sometimes 2.
Any ideas please? My nerves are shot and I hate hearing her scream like that.
Thanks very much. xxx

Kell83
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:36 am 
Post subject:
Sad I'm sorry she's unsettled, when you say you've tried controlled crying what do you mean? At what point do you give u. And is it because of her being too distressed or because of exhaustion?
Lily was a pain, I literally carted everyone off except me and her and did cc, I was shattered but after three nights she finally got it.
Unfortunately your dd is now use to you going in to comfort her etc and it's what she expects, that needs to be broken for things to improve.
It's worth knowing that at around her age night terrors can start to occur, this could be disturbing her?
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:43 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks very much for your reply. When I did cc with my son, I used to start off with going in every 5min and then extending it - even up to 30min (as he never cried non stop, but abit, then stopped, then again etc..). With Kerry she just screams and screams and screams.. So I never felt able to extend the timeframe and would go in every 5min.
Last night she woke up at 2:30, I went straight in and gave her a hug (did not pick her up from her cot), told her it was bedtime and walked right out again. She cried for 12min (I pushed myself) and she actually stopped and went back to sleep. So I'm really hoping that this is it Smile I so hate her screaming like that. Its absolutely hysterical.
I did think of night terrors, but they usually occur around 10-11pm and she always wakes up around 1-2am. Also the way she screams is not like a night terror, she is very aware of what is going on etc..
Thanks again and fingers crossed that it is over. Smile
xxx

stevesmith
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:24 pm 
Post subject:
It can be challenging to answer this sort of question because there are so many different things that it could possibly be. I know when our daughter was born she was a nightmare at times because she was colic. She would wake me at various times of the night because her belly would hurt so bad. We didn't figure this all out until many of sleepless nights. We found that some peppermint candies melted into water, or peppermint extract would often help. We also had to place her in a little vibrating chair. We went through three of those chairs before she was through it.
Jonie1976
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:52 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter is 2 years and 5 months and upto a week ago she slept through. She then started screaming 5 minutes after we put her to bed, demanding cuddle after cuddle and woke 5 times during the night. I tried cuddling, being stern, controlled crying for 5 mins at a time. She seems to have turned a corner and going back to normal after a week of hell. After trying everything I went back to cuddling and comforting her, putting her to bed and repeating the process until she gave in and went to sleep.

I personally now think that cc defeats the object. Whether you go up 5 minutes later or 20 mins later, you are still telling them your going up!! (My opinion). Also, because my daughter usually ok then something was obviously wrong with her, whether she suddenly scared of shadows (I've since made her bedroom darker), or suffering from separation anxiety.

I hope your lo gets back to normal sleeping soon. I would just give big cuddles and lots of reassurance x
Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:31 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks ladies, we are still struggling. She gets her big bed this weekend, so I'm really hoping that helps. She also no longer wants to have a nap. I would prefer she just had a shorter nap, but no success there yet. After 3 days of no nap, she passed out on the couch late yesterday afternoon. I let her sleep 30min and then woke her up. Argh... I hope its over soon. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular