Cot to toddler bed?

gembo12344
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:54 pm 
Post subject: Cot to toddler bed?
Hey all, I have got my little girl who is 18 months old on the 5th a toddler bed, she is still currently in her cot. I was just wondering at what age did your little ones go in their toddler bed? Also any advice/tips to make the transition easier?
Thanks for reading Very Happy Very Happy xx

Banoffee
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:56 pm 
Post subject:
My son is 30 months and still in his cot. He has just started this week getting scared at bedtime so I'm going to leave it a while longer as I don't want any messing at bedtime with in and out of bed. My dd i put in a bed before 2 but can't remember how many months. She was an utter nightmare for getting out of bed till 11 pm most nights so I clearly did it too early. I guess when you feel she is ready because all children are different.

Do what you feel is best for me with my first experience of changing I'm dreading it so hats off to you if you go ahead. Only advice I have is lots of patience, routine and perseverance. I got rid of my cot straight away but in some respects I wish I hadn't so I could have introduced her to the bed in a more gradual way instead if just putting her straight into a bed.
Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:45 pm 
Post subject:
With Isabelle we found out we were expecting again so put her in a bed at 16 months old and she took to it brilliantly with no problems. George was a little more attached but was in the bottom bunk by around 20ish months, again with no problems. I think I've been lucky!! Hope you are too. I gave Isabelle a new blanket the day I took her cot away, and we let George arrange the teddies on his bed so he knew it was his Smile x

StaceyRD
Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:47 pm 
Post subject:
Also mine both went into single beds straight away with no issues at all - I put their old cot mattress on the floor for the first few nights just in case of fall outs xx

gembo12344
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
This might sound stupid but how do I know when shes ready? what are the signs? she doesn't wriggle too much any more and weve got a really good routine and she goes to sleep within 5 mins with her bottle when put down.. Think I just need to bite the bullet I was just thinking is it too young? I think like you I worry about her getting out of bed and messing about Laughing Do you think it would be ideal for me to take the side off cot first (its a cotbed too) or just go straight for bed and emphasise what a big girl she is etc... xx

Bobski1980
Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:05 pm 
Post subject:
They say when they start trying to climb out of the cot is when you need to change. I looked into it a bit as I was wondering when to make the transition as I have another one on the way. They say (the books this is) that people often make the mistake of moving their children too soon, and before the age of 2 I think they don't really understand they are supposed to stay there. This is obviously general advice as every child is different. My boy is 21 months and we decided to leave him in his cot and get a new cot for new baby as I didn't want to rush him too soon, I don't think he's ready to make the transition yet. I guess if you don't need to move your little one then I wouldn't worry about it yet, if my boy is still in his cot at 2 1/2-3 then that's ok with me.x

gembo12344
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:57 pm 
Post subject:
Well tonight is the night!! She has gone straight to sleep in her new toddler bed... im not speaking too soon as there is still on night Laughing but initially all is good Very Happy Feeling very emotional! xx

michelletv
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:21 pm 
Post subject:
My youngest never had a cot, she slept with me from the word go.
she is 3 in March and we have put her in her own bed with a safeguard.
but she still sleeps in our room on a mattress now and again and still climbs into my bed every morning around 2am.
she has started to sleep still now, not too many wriggles, but with it been so hot, its been uncomfortable.
I'm just going with the flow this time around.
xxxx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:45 pm 
Post subject:
Jamie went in at 19 months and we never really had any problems. In fact he started sleeping better. We did have a couple of nights when he kept getting up and running outside (he had French doors to the garden in his bedroom) but we just kept putting him back

sammie23
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:51 pm 
Post subject:
Archie is 3 in April an only just gone into a cot. He never made a fuss about being in a cot so it never crossed my mind!
Posted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:20 pm 
Post subject:
what ever age that they climb out of cot, it is safer for child to be in toddler bed, because they will get hurt if the climb out of cot and fell

hayley2903
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:36 pm 
Post subject:
I tried around 1 as Lola wasn't sleeping but failed as she felt unsafe and have tried several times since however i've come to the conclusion she can stay in her cot until further notice haha. Although she does have plenty of room, sleeps 12 hours and has never tried to get out (touch wood) xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular