Breast feeding and Pre-mature babies

kas123
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:45 am 
Post subject: Breast feeding and Pre-mature babies
due to my health issues there is a chance that i will need to deliver around 34 weeks. I want to breast feed and when i tried to ask the midwife about it they were a bit useless. if you have a c-section at 34 weeks how does your body know to produce milk as you have not gone to term? Has anyone gone on to breast feed?
KazM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:23 pm 
Post subject:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/Pages/breastfeeding-premature-baby.aspx
Anoher NHS link there. Looks like it should be possible (and is actually even more important). xx
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:19 am 
Post subject:
thanks Karen, I did read this but if you go into labour to deliver i can understand the body knows that you are going to deliver and produces milk in peparation but if he is just ripped out how does your body know to produce milk? i also know that by 37 ish weeks you have already started to making milk as your hormones pepair for the forthcoming birth. tried to ask the midwife and she was not very helpful.
MrsOz
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:24 pm 
Post subject:
I had em section at 35 weeks. I didn't BF (was very ill) but my milk did come in. I can't remember how soon after but I remember sitting in SCBU with two beautiful wet patches 6 days later! Lol!

Good luck

Xx

KazM
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:22 pm 
Post subject:
You generally have some colostrum in pregnancy. Once baby starts feeding on colostrum it will spur your body on to do what it needs to milk-wise. Only issue might be baby's suckling ability - you may have to express and feed baby through an easy-flow teat until he/she learns/develops this. xx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular