Baby gone off breast?

catwoman
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:57 pm 
Post subject: Baby gone off breast?
My ten week old son was till quite recently easy to breast feed. He would settle down quickly and then feed till he was full. However, over the past few days he has become veyr fussy. He doesn't feed much and when he does it is in very short spurts after which he suddenly turns his head away to look around or to cry as though he were in pain. However, he is quite willing to accept the bottle - either formula or breast milk - when he is in his recliner. I am not sure what it is that I am doing wrong or what else I could do so he does eat. I should mention that of late his bowel movements have become less frequent - only once every three or four days - and the stools he passes are rather pasty and smelly.

I would much appreciate any advice.
StarryEyed
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:55 pm 
Post subject:
Have you changed anything in your diet? Or your washing powder or body soap?

He could possibly be teething, which would make it painful for him to suck. In theory, that should also affect him bottle feeding too.
Does he take a bottle if you hold him?

My son is also breastfed and the last couple of months (until he started weaning), he only had a bowel movement every 5-6 days. It is quite normal. They can vary from a few times a day to once every few days. He is digesting more of what he takes in, so less comes out.
carmo123
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:31 am 
Post subject: oral thrush?
Dear catwoman - perhaps your baby has oral thrush? This happened to my baby recently. She would only feed from the breast when the sucking was easy ie- when it was very full. the rest of the time, she would squirm and thrash around as if she was in pain and would eventually spit the boob out. Even though I couldnt really see any evidence of thrush in her mouth or on my nipples, I treated her for oral thrush with some gel from the chemist shop which I also applied to my nipples. It worked! however, the bad news is that I think that because she didnt feed properly for about 10 days and I ended up having to top her up with formula as she wasnt gaining weight, my milk supply has been permanantely affected so i hope that you get to the bototm of your problem ver soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular