Crying down or crying up...

harrijo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:12 pm 
Post subject: Crying down or crying up...
My son is 3 months old and I have been trying to get him to learn to sleep on his own in his cot. I put him in his cot and let him cry but he does not seem to be crying down. Yesturday he cried for almost 40 minutes with me going in to comfort him without picking him up evry 10-15 minutes and I finally gave in to his crying. It is really horrible listening to him cry and I was wondering if anyone has any tips to get us through this. He is so used to be craddled or nursed to sleep. I am going back to work in 7 weeks time and I need to sort this out HELP!!!! Mad
RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:15 am 
Post subject:
I haven't had this but have read that swaddling him will help. Wrapping him tightly in his blanket - arms out - will create the same security and warmth he felt when he was craddled. You must also stop nursing him to sleep if you haven't already - he must see where he falls asleep so that if he wakes he can learn to send himself back to sleep without you needing to go in. I hope someone else who has had this experience has some other tips.. It is a nightmare to hear them cry. Good luck.
FD
Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:31 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

He maybe getting too old for swaddling but it is certainly worth a try.
Have you tried using white noise - I used this for my second child and it worked a treat within a couple of days I saw a huge difference in her ability to fall asleep.
I also found it very eay to wean her off it as you just turn it down a little each night.

Try not to give yourself a time pressure , however I know it is difficult especially when you are returning back to work.
Does the same happen when someone else puts him to bed, in other words is it an attachment to you?
How is he with day naps? If he is ok try and follow the same routine.

Are you maybe missing his sleep window or not following the same nightly routine?

Sorry - I am sure you have probably asked yourself all these questions already.
Just trying to see if I can help you anymore.

FD

www.calmsleepingbaby.com
annas
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
whats white noise?
FD
Posted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:22 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

White noise is the term given to low monotonous rhythmical noises which contain all the frequencies audible to the ear. You probably hear some form of white noise every day and don't even notice it ,for example:
- fan in the pc (stop and listen)
- car engine
- washing machine, tumble drier, hairdryer etc.
- air conditioning fan or fan heater

It is used to mask other sounds from your baby while at the same time simulating similar sounds heard in the womb which your baby recognises and relates it to a calm, safe and secure environment, which in turn helps in calming your baby down.

Scientific research has shown that there are definite benefits from listening to white noise to assist with calming, settling and sleeping, not only in babies but in adults too

There are lost of sites selling white noise downloads -When I was advised to try it I found several mp3 files on the internet which I was able to download instantly and use (unfortuantely that was after I had manage to burn out 2 hairdryers!)

If you want to know more about it then you an here:
http://www.calmsleepingbaby.com/calmsleepingbaby_articles_whitenoise2.htm

I hope if you try this that it works for you.

FD

www.calmsleepingbaby.com
harrijo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:41 pm 
Post subject:
thanks for the responses. WIll try half swaddling and white noise. FOr info on white noise see http://www.calmsleepingbaby.com/calmsleepingbaby_whitenoise.htm
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:55 pm 
Post subject:
The hoover is also white noise. I hoover up when my baby is asleep in the moses basket, and she isnt disturbed! Its strange how a noise so loud doesnt disturb their sleep!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular