can i breast feed after having a reduction?

L4Leona
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:29 pm 
Post subject: can i breast feed after having a reduction?
Hi there

I had a breast reduction about 12 years ago and was so dissapointed to hear from my midwife that i would more than likely not be able to breast feed when my little one is born.

Is anyone in my position with success of breast feeding Question
ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:37 am 
Post subject:
Hi

Thought id reply to you as no one else has. Sorry I am not in the same situation as you, although I was told after having breast implants that I would not be able to breastfeed! I dont know why I was told this because I was told by my surgeon when I had them that it would not affect me breastfeeding in the future!??
What was the reason they gave you for not beaing able to breastfeed after havin a reduction????
x
honie
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:30 am 
Post subject:
sory me too not in the same position but just wanted say say u should seek a second opinion cos i heard that it is fine to breast feed after a reduction
good luck ladies
L4Leona
Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, Thanks for your replys. I was told by my midwife that when having a reduction the milk ducts are cut therefore the milk supply would have difficulty getting through to the nipple. She said to give it a try but it would probably be unsuccessful. I guess i'll just have to wait and see.

I do know that implants should not affect breast feeding as the this is a completely different op which does not interfere with the milk ducts so thats good news for those with implants Smile

xxx
ZoeL
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:43 am 
Post subject:
Hi Leona,

I'm in the same postion as you, but I was told from the beginning that breastfeeding wouldn't be possible. There are two types of reduction - one which seperates the milk duct and one which doesn't. It may be that you had the one which doesn't.

My obstetrician seem a bit overly optimistic to me, she just seemed to think it would be no problem. She basically said I could choose. Either you can give it a go, and then take anti-lactation meds if it doesn't work out (because you still produce the milk, it just has nowhere to go), or, she said, if you decide in advance not to try, you just take the anti-lactiation meds before the birth.

There is a whole organisation dedicated to breast feeding after reduction, at www.bfar.org. They have loads of info. It's not really for me, as they're very much there for women who are desperate to breastfeed, and I probably won't be (for other reasons), but I hope that this is a help. There also quite helpful with how to deal with healthcare staff who don't support your wishes to try.

Hope it works out for you!
L4Leona
Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there, thanks for your reply. My breast reduction involved being cut all the way round the nipples so i'm thinking it won't be possible. Crying or Very sad

I'll have a wee look at that website though.

Thanks for the info Smile
mumof3boys
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:30 pm 
Post subject: Breastfeeding after reduction
I too had a breast reduction in 2004, following the birth of my three children and when I thought my family was complete. Then we got a surprise and I'm pregnant with No. 4 and due in December.

I've obviously not yet tried breastfeeding following my reduction but as it's something that I very much want to do, I've researched this quite a bit. I see it that it's not impossible to breastfeed but that naturally we would not produce as much milk as is required. To resolve this issue, it is recommended that following each feed, we express more milk too to stimulate our breasts in to producing yet more milk - the whole supply and demand chain.

Another member recommended the BFAR website and it does seem to be great. I would suggest speaking with a Breastfeeding counsellor based at your hospital as they would most likely have more experience with Mum's who've had reductions than your doctor has.

My nipples were cut around too, but still left connected to the nerves etc which were just consentinered up to fit in my new perfect shaped boobs - which I hope won't grow to be as big as they were before the op!!!

Good luck - and remember that knowledge makes us powerful so seek as much advice as you can.

x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular