Bottle feeding problems

BevT
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:06 pm 
Post subject: Bottle feeding problems
Hi, Please can anyone help? My 12 week old daughter just doesn't seem to a be a hungary baby. She takes about 80z in the morning then for the rest of the day is just a battle. I have tried 3 ,4 and 5 hourly feeds and feeding on demand none of which make a difference. I have tried infacol although she is not suffering from colic atall. I have changed my bottles and the milk 3 times as recommended by the HV. She has only been putting on 3 oz a week now this week she has not put on any weight atall. The HV's make you feel bad especially as i am a single mum and this is my first baby.
My daughter appears to be hungary say after 4 hours then i go to feed her and she just screams and pushes the bottle away. I have had her checked for thrush and this is all fine. I read somewhere that it could be linked to lack of sleep except my baby fights going to sleep in the day unless she has had a good feed so it is a vicious circle and i am now getting really upset.
So please does anyone have any ideas?
A very frustrated mum
Audlas123
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:59 pm 
Post subject:
Don't really have an answer for you but wanted you to know your not alone. I too have had a similar problem with my lo. At 7 weeks she stopped wanting anymore than 3oz at a feed and became hysterical if I tried to give her more. I've tried different milk, bottles and teats to no avail. She is now on gaviscon for suspected reflux which seems to help sometimes. I sit for up to an hour each feedto get her to take at least 4oz on hv advice. She now takes on average around 20oz a day which isnt as much as she should(she weighs 11lb 14oz). She is putting on weight and seems healthy enough but I think its because I spend so much time coaxing her. HV says she'll take what she wants and not to worry. I know this doesn't really help but know that your not alone. She does sleep a lot and I've been told sleep is as good as a feed for babies! Good luck.
BevT
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:20 pm 
Post subject: bottle feeding problems
to audlas123

Thank you for your reply. It is very frustrating. There is so much emphasis on a baby's weight gain against these weight charts. When it isnt taken into consideration on the individual baby, if they are happy and thriving in all other areas then surely that is what matters, My daughter was born weighing 9lb 4oz and now weighs 11lb 4oz at 12 weeks old but she is meeting all the other milestones and is very alert and takes everything in that goes on around her. So maybe she just doesnt like milk?? I do wonder if these immunisations have anything to do with her feeding erratically as she was taking between 22oz and 26oz a day for about a week up until her 2nd lot of jabs and since then it has gone down to about 16 -18oz at a push. It would be nice if someone could come up with answer but these lo's are sent to try us and i suppose that as long as she is healthy and thriving in other areas then i should be grateful! Plus she does sleep all through the night so i am lucky she does that!!
LouLou44
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:13 pm 
Post subject: No Milk
My daughter is the same so i can really sympathise! My daughter will take 3 1/2 oz at each feed and will only have 3 feeds. My health visitors just tell me to get as much milk into her as she will take and slip as much as i can into her food. Now she is 8 months i can now give her cheese sauce, custartd, rice pudd etc whch makes life easier. I don't like thesituation and have struggled with it for 8 months but she is a much happier baby when I do not push her to drink what she doesn't want. She has always gained weight and it has been slow and steady. One fortnight she only gained 3 oz!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular