Overprotective fathers

Zaarambar
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:57 pm 
Post subject: Overprotective fathers
How do you deal with overprotective fathers? my hubby just cant help himself interfering with everything just in case something happens. I realize that on a playground my daughter reacts differently when he is around. She is more afraid and easily loose grip. But once I tell him he is offended. So what are you doing?

DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:39 am 
Post subject:
you really need to talk to him and explain it carefully. Explain that he's right to worry about some things, and understand that its natural for Dad's to feel that way if they are less involved in raising their children than the Mum - she must seem terribly fragile to him, whereas to you she is the great enormous thing that you can barely believe was such a tiny helpless baby not so long ago.

Maybe reach a compromise - rather than telling him he's treating her wrong, explain that children need consistency from their parents, and the 2 of you need to discuss and agree on a way forward and stick to it. Once you can get him involved in a conversation, you can each justify your point of view and see where you end up.

Might work - but it is dependant on him listening and being open to change Very Happy
Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:50 am 
Post subject:
Well, the good news, is we can talk again since the counselling. Its just that his mind is set to dangers (he studies product designs and has a mind for that in changing things). But maybe Im going to mention that in the session to. Some subjects are quite delicate. maybe he needs to find out why he is teh way he is towards her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular