Hubby with a poor diet - any suggestions?

michelle030180
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:04 pm 
Post subject: Hubby with a poor diet - any suggestions?
Hi all,

I am on month 3 of TTC (not long, I know), but despite my best efforts to get myself into good shape for TTC, I am finding it so hard to convince my hubby that he needs to put in a lot more effort with his diet and nutrition if we are ever to have a chance of conceiving naturally and soon.

He has historically had a poor diet (he won't eat vegetables as he has never liked any of them and he loves unhealthy takeaways, although I have tried to cut these down) - this is not helped by our lifestyle, particularly with the long hours we both do at work. We often come home late and rarely feel like cooking a proper meal. Its just a vicious circle!!

Does anyone else have a similar problem or been able to get round this problem with their other half? I know vitamin supplements alone are no good unless your diet is half decent, however does anyone have any success stories with a particular type of fertility boosting supplement for men? I have been reading a lot about FertilAid, but wonder if it is worth investing in it as it is very expensive.

Your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated! xx
Doddsy
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:15 am 
Post subject:
I put my hubby on Wellman tablets and a complete a-z vitamin supplement from boots. Not sure if this had anything to do with my BFP but that's what i had him on.
I also got him to take a bottle of water to work instead of a bottle of fizzy pop and i made an effort to make him sandwiches everyday(he wouldn't) so that he wasn't going to mcdonalds or some other fast food place for lunch. We also saved money doing this. I really had to hammer it home to him though, he wouldn't have done it cos he wanted to. In the end i told him the reason we hadn't conceived could be his fault and it seemed to change his mind Laughing xxx
michelle030180
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:46 am 
Post subject:
Thanks for the advice Claire. I never thought of the Wellman brand. Think I will be nipping to boots tonight (much to hubby's disgust as he hates taking tablets he he!)
...and congratulations on the BFP!!! You must be overjoyed.
xxx
Aevenstar
Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:46 pm 
Post subject:
My DH hates taking tablets too -but he finally came to the conclusion without too many hints that if I'm changing everything and really trying to make sure i can look back with no regrets, he probably should too. Especially as his swimmers test came back with only 6.9% normal morphology (though there's lots of em overall and they're zipping about all over the place) - normal range is between 5 and 15 so it's towards the bottom end of that.

He's on Centrum and Boot's men's mulitvitamins (alternates them, though amusingly he took the Boot's around ov 'because they've got more zinc in'. Bless)

As to diet - he's not too bad at sorting sandwiches and fruit out, but I have to watch the snacking!

Good luck hun

Rachel x

michelle030180
Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:01 am 
Post subject:
Thanks Rachel - I spent ages in Boots yesterday looking for vitamin tablets that were not too big for him to swallow (I think that is the problem mainly), but the trouble is you can't see what they look like until you buy them!

Decided on some Sanatogen 'His and Hers' pro natal, although I am already taking Pregnacare Conception, so don't really need the 'hers' bit!! Turns out they are the biggest bullets ever!! It was just funny watching him screw up his face this morning taking it!! He then tried to pretend he had thrown it in the bin, much to my disgust.

Why is it men think it is just the woman's responsibility all the time! Grrrr!!!

Anyway, rant over.

Hope you get some luck soon too xx
Aevenstar
Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:08 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks hun - I think the Boots ones show how big they are on the side of the pack which really made me chuckle!

Good luck to you as well - we'll get there!

Rachel x

Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:39 am 
Post subject:
Lol this made me laugh! I'm glad its not only my hubby who seems to have a problem with vitamins. Although I have to say it made no difference to his boys but it is something the fertility clinics do reckomend so anything is worth a shot.
Just remember it takes most couples at least a year to fall. Apparently even 16 year olds only have a one in 4 chance!

Best advice relax chill out and enjoy each other good luck xx
pips1
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:12 pm 
Post subject:
I now have my hubby quite well trained!!! But its been a long process. I send him to work with sandwiches and a bottle of water, and so that's good. I have also encouraged breakfast and he now has some porridge or weetabix, so that's good. Also now Im at home a bit more, I cook in the evening. Sometimes I do deserts, but try to prepare them with fresh fruit, e.g. crumbles, trifles etc.

But when I was working long hours too, I relied quite heavily on Tescos ready prepared veg - even ready done mash, and cooked chickens etc, as I felt they were better than takeaway - and I was too exhausted to cook much.

I had him on zinc and vit c tablets too - but when his sperm count came back normal, I let him stop taking them.

Its taken a few years, but he is pretty good now!! Good luck Pipsx
Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:33 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks girls. Will just have to wait and see what comes of it all I suppose.

If there is one positive thing all these vitamins are doing for me at least, it is fending off the office cold bug that is going round (touch wood so far). Prior to taking the vitamins I would have always been the first to go down with anything!!

xxx

[url=http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/225452]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Fertility Issues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular