Can I eat mascarpone?

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:21 pm 
Post subject: Can I eat mascarpone?
Ok, so funny title to my topic. I have read loads of stuff saying that you shouldn't eat soft cheeses such as Brie etc.. when pregnant. Does anyone know if that includes mascarpone? I love this, especially in pasta sauces and in desserts, and haven't seen it anywhere on any lists, but don't want to eat it if it might endanger my baby, as it is a soft cheese. I'm only 7 weeks pregnant, and all these lists of what you should and shouldn't eat are dead confusing Confused .

Anyone know?

LD
HannahM
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:03 pm 
Post subject:
Hi LD,

Thankfully its fine to eat mascarpone in pregnancy so bring on the Tirimisu!!!

x
Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:09 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks Hannah, I can tuck into the tiramisu tonight then!! woo hoo!!

LD
mrswolfbane
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:47 am 
Post subject:
personally i think all this lists on what u can and cant eat is rubbish im sorry but our parents esp mine shes 62 ate what she liked and all 5 kids of hers were healthy and fine

as long as its cooked and its not mouldy like stilton i wud eat it
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:53 am 
Post subject:
that's the basics of it - mould. Its not that the risk of catching anything nasty is increased, it's just the fact that if you DO get something, the consequences are much much worse. Basically you are supposed to avoid soft cheeses with a cultured rind or mould - so that includes, stilton, brie, camambert, some goats cheeses and so. However, I have eaten some of those when cooked with no ill effects.

I think the actual chance of picking up listeria is still miniscule, but because it can harm your baby most people choose not to take the risk. It's explained preoperly here:
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/cheeseexpert/
mrswolfbane
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:56 am 
Post subject:
DevonMum wrote:
that's the basics of it - mould. Its not that the risk of catching anything nasty is increased, it's just the fact that if you DO get something, the consequences are much much worse. Basically you are supposed to avoid soft cheeses with a cultured rind or mould - so that includes, stilton, brie, camambert, some goats cheeses and so. However, I have eaten some of those when cooked with no ill effects.

I think the actual chance of picking up listeria is still miniscule, but because it can harm your baby most people choose not to take the risk. It's explained preoperly here:
http://www.babycentre.co.uk/pregnancy/nutrition/foodsafety/cheeseexpert/

i have been told recently by a nurse to avoid all dairy products bcuz of the sickness and when i had flu was made to feel awful for asking if i cud have a lemsip as i was bed bound with it i was made to feel as if this one lemsip one cause complete and utter damage to my child when it almost certainly wud not at all what gets me is they say to smokers if u cant give up completly cut down same with drinkers and drug addicts an u get the 3rd degree over a lemsip
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:01 am 
Post subject:
lol

so true!!

plus, you really shouldn't cut out all dairy - calcium is so important for your little ones growing bones. The recent debates over alcohol in pregnancy kinda highlight a lot of the nonsense too. It's all about degrees of indulgence in my opinion. My mother in law was horrified that I had a pizza with blue cheese and goats cheese on it on holiday - but for starters the cheese was cooked, secondly I'm a veggie and teh French don't really DO veggie unless it involves lovely mouldy cheese, and thirdly - it's up to me!!

So yes - my advice would always be to actually read the underlying research if you are concerned, otherwise you are often fed opinions by people who have picked them up from others. The government white papers are dull, but the do contain teh actual scientific facts behind it. Some think that all this stress about what we can and can't do is more damaging to baby than any of the foods you could eat, so maybe we're all better off just chilling out and eating whatever we like Very Happy
mrswolfbane
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:05 am 
Post subject:
i am so defiantly with u on this

i think if u can eat it then eat it understand the possible real consequences of food like stilton and things i also think the same with medicines as long as its taken properly and not over used the odd lemsip in MY eyes wont do teriffic damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular