what the hell does it mean

laydee
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:33 am 
Post subject: what the hell does it mean
hi pple
i recieved a letter from the hospital saying when my first scan is. sooooo excited hehe!!
but the letter says i should take relevent documents. WHAT DOCUMENTS???? please help.
Charlotte
kazzz
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:49 pm 
Post subject:
Hi
I think it's you pregnancy notes?You should have blood test just before the scan & i think they do a urine sample also....Yes i'm pretty sure its your pregnancy notes.....
Let us know if i'm right or wrong

Karen......
Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:49 am 
Post subject:
I think it's your maternity notes, that's what I have to take to mine. Unlike Karen, I've been told nothing about a blood test or urine sample though, although the midwife I've seen so far was a fill-in one and was useless so it could be quite possible that I should have one!!! When is your scan? Mine is 6th december, it's so exciting isn't it?

LD
katfrog
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:23 am 
Post subject:
Before you go for your scan you need to have your booking bloods taken by your midwife. This is where they take several sample and test for things like blood, anemia, HIV etc. Your midwife will also check your blood pressure and urine, which they will do every time you go for an antenatal appointment. The blood samples will be sent to the hospital and checked there.

When you go for your scan you need to take your preganacy/maternity notes including your card for your triple test at 15 weeks as they will fill in important information on this card. They will keep your pregnancy notes and fill in details on your blood tests in there, then send it back to your GP practice. They will give you back your triple test blood card as you probably won't get your notes back for a while.

As your pregnancy notes tend to have all the useful conatct information on them it is a good idea to copy this or write it down and keep it safe should you need to contact your midwife etc.

Good luck with the scan, it is a great experience.
kazzz
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:58 pm 
Post subject:
Luckyducky

I only found this out because i asked the hospital before i went for my scan....

Karen....
kazzz
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:14 pm 
Post subject:
Katfrog
Thats how they done things years ago...Everything has changed now.Ifound it strange this time round...Now you see your midwife who will take urine sample & blood pressure..They dont take blood from you untill roughly 30 weeks..The first lot of bloods taken is the day you have your first scan...Also the hospital don't keep hold of you pregnancy notes as you need to keep them with you...I am 34 weeks & have only had TWO lots of bloods taken....9 years ago when i had my first child you see the midwife every two weeks & had blood taken nearly every time...You do have to take a urine sample every time you see your midwife....

Karen.......
kazzz
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:32 pm 
Post subject:
Maybe it depends on what Hospital & midwife you go to..It may all be different in certain countries....I live in Medway in Kent that's how it was done for me...Where are you all from as it would be interesting to know?

Karen......
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:38 pm 
Post subject:
the hospital here don't do any bloods or urines at all - its all done through the midwives. I'm in Devon Very Happy
Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:01 pm 
Post subject:
I am really confused at what I should of had. When I saw the midwife for my booking in appointment, it was a fill-in one who really didn't seem to know what she was doing. She took my blood pressure but nothing else, no urine or blood samples. She gave me the number of the hospital, who I had to ring to book the scan a week later. She had actually sent my details to them, but other than that don't think she has done anything. Am waiting for a call from the proper midwife in the next week, when hopefully I'll find out what I should have had. If she doesn't call, I'm going to call her. I am in South Cambridgshire, and my sister, who has had one son in the same area 2 years ago seemed to think I'd had all I needed at this stage, I'm 10 weeks pregnant. Hope I have, but will be checking with my midwife when I eventually get to speak to her!

Would be nice to have a bit of reassurance, especially with my first pregnancy!

LD
ajane
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:26 pm 
Post subject: hi!
hi i never had an appointment with my midwife untill after my scan, my letter said to take documents but i never had any so just take your letter if u dont have anything yet.

amy x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular