How long did it take for crying it out to work?

concernedmum
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:36 pm 
Post subject: How long did it take for crying it out to work?
Hi
Just wondering how long it took before the crying out method worked, i've been trying it for a week yet my lo still cries each time i put him down.
Lanius
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:28 am 
Post subject: Re: How long did it take for crying it out to work?
concernedmum wrote:
Hi
Just wondering how long it took before the crying out method worked, i've been trying it for a week yet my lo still cries each time i put him down.

I think it might depend on how old your child is and what his/her sleeping habit has been up until now. You hear some say they crack it in 3 or 4 days but others find it can take at least a week. Our baby is 1 yo now and we've just had the 3rd night of controlled crying. He used to wake between 10-11pm and again around 1-2am but for 2 nights running now he's slept from 7pm till 1am when he's woken for an hour and cried. Each night though, his crying has gotten less intense so we think he is making progress.

I would say keep at it. If you stop then you go back to square one again, as stressful as it is to listen to them cry.

Good luck.
Hadie
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:09 pm 
Post subject: controlled crying
Hi, I'm not sure if this is too late a reply, but I just wanted to encourage you to continue with the controlled crying. I recently had a negative and then a postive experience with this technique. My one year old was a brilliant sleeper until he turned 11 months when he started experiencing really bad seperation anxiety (so much so that I cried on the phone to my mum - I'm 31!). Anyway, this led to him screaming his heart out everytime we put him down to sleep day or night. I reluctantly agreed with my husband to try controlled crying but it was heartbreaking and I don't think we did it properly as I was leaving my son to cry for too long and he just kept on screaming for 3 days. I eventually gave up and started bringing him back to our bed - bad mistake as it just got worse. He was waking at 10pm, 1am, 5am. So, we tried again and this time I went in to him after 3 mins, then 5 mins, then 8 mins, then 12 mins, then 15 mins then 22 mins etc........the first 2 nights he cried for 2 hours but the 3rd, he cried for 20minutes and the 4th only for 5 minutes and then the 5th well, when I laid him down, he just looked at me and smiled!!! Honestly. Now he sleeps from 6.30 to 7.00 and finally we are back to normal. Its a brilliant technique if you can stick it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular