Snuffly baby

Annika
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:38 pm 
Post subject: Snuffly baby
Hi

I have a 4 week old baby girl who at night becomes very snuffly. Usual grunts and groans of a baby but also sounds like she really needs to cough up mucus - has anyone else experienced this? It's not interferring with her feeding in that she can still take her bottle well, but it does mean that after the night feeds we really struggle putting her down again - she sceams the house down!!! Having said that, the minute we pick her up she stops crying so we're generally pretty confused!!!

Any suggestions would be hugely welcomed - sleep is becoming a distant memory Embarassed
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:01 pm 
Post subject:
hi hun, my little one was exactly the same. I found with mine (shes 7 weeks now), it was wind that was making her cry, and like you say, when you pick them up the crying stops - because the wind is worse when they are laid flat on their back.

There are 2 things you could do -

1 - Ive started tilting my baby slightly in her moses basket so her back is against the side of the basket but she is not completely on her side, so cant roll onto her front (its hard to explain but just try it and you'll see she wont be able to roll), and this has helped sooo much.. her wind is so much less, and she isnt as sickly in the nights as she was before.

2 - fold up a fleece blanket (they are the thickest), and place it under the basket where her head is, (inbetween the basket and the stand) to tilt it, this will also reduce the wind and the mucus (try this first if you're not happy trying the side sleeping). This is perfectly safe an was recommended to me by midwife, doctor and health visitor.

I was also at my wits end like you, and for 2 weeks she slept in the bed cuddled up to me, because again, she was on her side and didnt get any wind!

As for the snuffles, try saline drops for her nose to clear the mucus (u can buy it at the chemist its called Nasosal). this could also be as a result of her sleeping on her back, as you know yourself if you ever have a cold, or a blocked nose, its worse to sleep on your back as everything lies on your chest!

Good luck, let me know how you get on xxx
Annika
Posted: Fri May 09, 2008 1:55 pm 
Post subject:
Hello!

Thanks for all your pearls of wisdom. Funny you should mention about putting her on an incline. I did that last night, along with a Karvol vapouriser and between the 2 we got a much better nights sleep. Bought nasal drops too and will be giving those a go tonight.

Fingers crossed!!!
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat May 10, 2008 3:30 pm 
Post subject:
Good stuff, i also bought a little device to suck out snot! Its a 'Nuk' brand one, and after you've put the drops in, use this to get out the softened snot! I tried it today, and although she didnt like me doing it, she was much happier afterwards when she could breathe x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular