alcohol

rainbow50
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:59 am 
Post subject: alcohol
Hiya all!! I have just joined up to this great site. I was wondering if anyone else was in the same boat as me. I just found out last week that I am pregnant and am now (according to this site) in my 6th week. However, I am really really worried because I had about 4 nights of shovelling back loads of beer (between3rd and 5th week I think) and smoking heavily. I am so worried that I have harmed the baby. Of course I have completely cut out both now. Any advice? Do you think any problems will be detected before the birth? I have lots of other questions but will not bombard everyone for the time being. I also didn`t start the folic acid until last week......
Thanks in advance!
Bazzle
Posted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:53 am 
Post subject:
HI Rainbow50

First of all dont panic!! I think alot of people who are not planning on getting pregnant fall into this situation - i certainly did! I fell pregnant at the end of November and had 3 Xmas parties in a row and my alcohol/smoking intake was pretty bad. However, when i found out i was pregnant i stopped both straight away and started on the folic acid. My midwife and doctor both told me not to worry and as long as i stopped i was unlikly to have done my baby any damage. I am now 26 weeks, had a very easy pregnancy so far and the baby has been fine and on course ,growthwise, at each scan. he also kicks like a premiership footballer so nothing wrong with his movements either!!

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and im sure it happens with lots of people who then go on to have perfectly healthy babies! Good luck! xxx
Posted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:54 am 
Post subject:
Bazzle, thanks very much for your reply. I am feeling much better now and know that worrying about it won`t change anything either. I just realised after posting that I had posted in the wrong section too so thanks for finding me! I am glad your pregnancy is going well. Hope I am as lucky.... Very Happy I wil probabaly be back with loads more questions soon.
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:00 am 
Post subject: Hi Rainbow
Dont worry chook, I did exactly the same. We were told we couldnt have kids so there was no way I would think I was pregnant. My mate was going through some issues, he and I sat up most nights talking, drinking and smoking more than normal. I did panic when I found out that I was preg during the time it happend but all was well and I have a very strong 6mnth old boy. The health issues he has were not caused by anything I did during pregnancy and both my doc and midwife assured me of that. Well done you for stopping as soon as you found out you were pregnant. Be reassured that you havent done anything to harm your baby, you already show how good a mum your going to be by changing your habits, your great!!!!
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:18 am 
Post subject:
Huntermac-thanks for your reply. I have been feeling better about it recently. I am dying for a nice beer and a smoke though!!! I have been trying to give up smoking for ages so I hope I don`t start up again after the birth. Wink
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:09 am 
Post subject:
Its so hard to give up smoking a!! I work for a tobacco company so when I gave up at 15wks preg it was quite hard watching everyone else. Honestly though, when Hunter was born I was to busy with him and never thought about having a somke, its been over a year now and still going strong!!! What date are you due??
Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:11 am 
Post subject:
I am supposed to be due on 6th January but when I went to the doctor`s last week he said that since the embryo was only 4.5mm I am probably more like 5 weeks and not 6. I wonder what the normal weekly size is. Still gasping for a smoke but have to be strong. I know if I even have a couple of puffs that will be me back on them. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Site & Forum Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular