Help - I need sleep

Lin01
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:48 pm 
Post subject: Help - I need sleep
I have a 4 month old son. He gets upset during the day if i don't let him get to sleep so i always put him down for a couple of hours around 3 - 5. When it's time to go to bed at night he gets his last feed at 8.30. He then wakes up again at 1.30, 3, 5, 6, 7 and then wakens at 8.30. Each time he wakes i give him some milk but he only takes about 1 or 2 ozs and falls back to sleep again. I have tried giving him baby rice at 8 to see if it helps but it doesn't. Anyone any ideas Idea on how to get him to sleep longer, he lactose intolerent and i need sleep badly Sad Sad Sad
ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:28 pm 
Post subject:
It sounds at though he just wants comfort, have you tried a dummy to sleep with at nite?
joshlibmum
Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:42 pm 
Post subject: more sleep
I had the same problem with my daughters whos now 5 1/2 months old between her and my son whos 5 yrs old I once saw some minutes of every hour one night she used to wake 4-6 times a night and I used to feed her back to sleep every time I think your son needs to learn to fall asleep on his own try putting him to bed still awake just keep going in every 10 mins to comfort him(dont pick him up)I know its hard the first night I tried it I was in tears and felt so cruel but I was shattered my daugther now only wakes up once for a feed and sometimes its not till 5 which is like a full nights sleep (yeah)

I also think your putting him to bed to late hes probably overtied I start my daugthers bedtime routine at 7 bath milk bed shes usually asleep for 7.30 8 at the latest. Children need routine I didnt get my son into a routine till he was 21/2 yrs old (far to late but first born and all) I still suffer the conseqences now

good luck hope you get some sleep soon and remember the saying you have to be cruel to be kind
ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:59 pm 
Post subject:
I agree! My son also goes to bed between 7 and 8, it gets to 7oclock and he struggles! routine is very important!!
Lin01
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:48 pm 
Post subject:
I have tried putting him to bed earlier around 6.30 / 7.00, but it doesn't help cause he would be up more times during the night. I have even tried bathing, feeding, quite time then bed and he would sleep for 4 hours and then up every hour after that again, it's the same no matter what time he goes to bed.
I still need sleep Sad
harrijo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:57 pm 
Post subject:
I have tried letting my son "cry it out" - very difficult how long should he be left to cry for?
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:48 pm 
Post subject:
Have u tried waking him up after he has taken the milk? You could change his nappy and try to get him to have some more milk? I have to do that with my 4 week old baby as she falls asleep on the breast... Also, my little girl wakes up a lot if she has wind, so i take the extra 20 minutes or so to wind her properly, and make sure its all gone before putting her down.

Also, the comfort thing is sooo true, my little one cries for food sometimes, and i put her on the breast and she falls asleep within seconds. I have been giving her a dummy, she wont always take it, but persevre if you can!

its so hard to know what to do for the best isnt it?! I hope some of these tips help you
EmC
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:08 am 
Post subject:
Have you tried giving him more milk at his last feed? I did that from bout 4wks old to get him to sleep all through the night & he has done since hes 6wks old. We put our son down at about 10pm & he gets up between 7 & 8am, we are now starting to reduce the time he goes to bed to get it earlier. We are also thinking of starting weaning, maybe that might settle yours down for the night?
FD
Posted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:42 pm 
Post subject:
HI,

It sound like he is looking for comfort rather than food especilly if he is eating small and often. However it may be hunger but without knowing what your day routine is like it is hard to judge
Have a look at your routine during the day and what his feed pattern is like.
If you don't have a routine then try and establish one i.e feed at regular intervals and try to stock up on feeds during the day. It may even be worth introducing a rice feed at lunch time (avoid the evening when introducing new foods then you have time to see if he has any reactions to them )
For a couple of nights you may not see a difference but It will come.

I wodul recommend that he should be getting 2 naps during the day at this age - one early morning and one early afternoon. This coudl be having an effect on his night sleeps

Sorry a bit disjointed advice but I hope it helps

FD
www.calmsleepingbaby.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular