Baby constipation

chicki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:41 am 
Post subject: Baby constipation
Sad Hi my 8week old baby girl is constipated and constantly in pain 24/7, she is lactose intolerant so she is on soya enriched formula. The constipation has been going on for 5 weeks and i have tried everything pear, prune and apple juice, coloxyl and brown sugar just irritate more due to the intolerance and i am running out of ideas and hair as i am pulling it out from frustration and stress. I see the pedeatrician in 3 weeks but i would like a part soloution by then.
HannahM
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Posted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:21 pm 
Post subject:
The poor little thing - have you tried massaging her tummy or cycling her legs in the air to see if this helps move things through a little?

Han x
von76
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:00 pm 
Post subject: gripe water
i find that gripe water helps when my baby's stools are hard!
KaylaEmsley
Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:48 am 
Post subject:
hi ive found my daughter is constipated after moving her on to sma white for hungrier babys, i found that if i give her 100ml bottle of cooled boiled water then top it up to 120mls with freshly squeezed orange juice its sorts her out with causing unnessasery pain and discomfort it takes a while to get through her system but the end results are fantastic. if your worrying about what ive suggested my mum used it for me and my sister and my mother in law suggested it as well after four children so it cant to them any harm!

hope this helps kayla xx
chill
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:12 am 
Post subject:
my 6 week old old girl is having alot of problems passing her stools. the first 2 weeks of her life she was passing hard ball like pooh, and looked like she was in a lot pain,i thought maybe it was the way i was making up her feeds so i bought ready made up formula. she has been on sma since birth. since i put her on the ready made formula nothing has changed, she hasnt passed any stools for over 30 hours now. im really worried because she is very uncomfortable and is crying constantly when shes awake. ive tried giving her gripe water, and cooled boiled water, but she wont drink it. please help.
chynye
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:55 am 
Post subject:
hi, my 9 week old baby does not stool for days. i have to help her along by lubricating her anus. is this normal? is she constipated? her stool is not hard
jazzyrath
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:28 pm 
Post subject: Constipation
Hi all ive got a 10 wk old son who was having 4 or 5 wet loose dirty nappies up to about 5 weeks ago. He is being breastfed but now only goes about once a week. After about 2 days he gets alot of discomfort and all the docs say its normal. But how can it be hes suffering. They told me he could also be constipated but how when he does go his stools are loose for a breastfed baby. He apparently has a touch of colic but im not sure hes very windy and farts alot. Can anyone please help im distraught.
devonbird
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:07 pm 
Post subject: Vit C and constipation
I have used vitamin C powder mixed in with the formula for my 12 week old as recommended by an australian nutritionist, and have used it on and off since he was 4 weeks. This has no side effects from xs dosage (ie not toxic in any form) except for loosening the bowels and works a treat for us. It was also recommended that I gave him it for 5 days prior to any vaccinations to aid there ability to cope and also to give it to them if they are on antibiotics for any reason.

If you are going to use it you will need to mix it when the water is warm as it can clump a little but make sure the water is not too hot as it makes it less effective. I use approx 1/3 teaspoon in each feed until the bowel are loose and then probably put it in 1-2 feeds a day for a few days but you can increase or decrease as suits.

The powder form I am using is magnesium ascorbate, with 835mg of vit C per 1 gram.

I gather it is more commonly used in infants in america but for some reason not often used here.

Hope that is of some help.

Devonbird x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Children's Health All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular