How do i make mince pies?

Nikki77
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:59 pm 
Post subject: How do i make mince pies?
I kno its prob the easiest thing ever but i have not got a clue how 2 make them. My sons want us 2 make some at the weekend so i said yes and now im panicing! I kno the mince meat can be bought ready made. Its the pastry part ill struggle with.
BabyWife
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:24 am 
Post subject:
8 oz butter, softened
1 lb all purpose flour
2 oz icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1 lb mincemeat
an ounce or two of brandy or rum - if desired
beaten egg, to glaze
bun tins to make 30 pies

Cut the butter into cubes. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbes. Stir in the icing sugar. Make a well in the centre, stir in the egg yolk and about 3-4 tbsp iced water to make a soft but not sticky dough. Knead lightly to form a smooth dough (if there is time - chill for 30 minutes). Preheat oven to mark 400F or gas mark 6.

On a floured surface, roll out two thirds of the dough and cut out 30 rounds using a 2- inch fluted cutter. Use to line the bun tins. Fill with mincemeat*.

Re-roll remaining pastry and trimmings and cut out circles using a 2 in cutter. Dampen edges of circle and place on pies. Seal edges, brush tops with beaten egg and cook for 20 minutes.

*If desired, mix some (to taste) of the brandy or rum into the mincemeat. Mixture will be a little looser. Delicious when served alone or with custard (British - of course) or cream We highly recommend sampling the recipe repeatedly!!

I found this by goggling it, Have fun xx
MrsWood81
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:28 am 
Post subject:
You can buy short crust pastry ready to roll so all you need to do is roll it out.

You could have it on stand by if home made stuff don't work

Takes the stress out of pie making.
Nikki77
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:04 pm 
Post subject:
MrsGroves wrote:
8 oz butter, softened
1 lb all purpose flour
2 oz icing sugar
2 egg yolks
1 lb mincemeat
an ounce or two of brandy or rum - if desired
beaten egg, to glaze
bun tins to make 30 pies

Cut the butter into cubes. Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the butter and, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbes. Stir in the icing sugar. Make a well in the centre, stir in the egg yolk and about 3-4 tbsp iced water to make a soft but not sticky dough. Knead lightly to form a smooth dough (if there is time - chill for 30 minutes). Preheat oven to mark 400F or gas mark 6.

On a floured surface, roll out two thirds of the dough and cut out 30 rounds using a 2- inch fluted cutter. Use to line the bun tins. Fill with mincemeat*.

Re-roll remaining pastry and trimmings and cut out circles using a 2 in cutter. Dampen edges of circle and place on pies. Seal edges, brush tops with beaten egg and cook for 20 minutes.

*If desired, mix some (to taste) of the brandy or rum into the mincemeat. Mixture will be a little looser. Delicious when served alone or with custard (British - of course) or cream We highly recommend sampling the recipe repeatedly!!

I found this by goggling it, Have fun xx
thanks ever so much 4 that. Sure my boys wil have great fun this wkend making them! X
Nikki77
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:05 pm 
Post subject:
MrsWooD81 wrote:
You can buy short crust pastry ready to roll so all you need to do is roll it out.

You could have it on stand by if home made stuff don't work

Takes the stress out of pie making.
i never thought of that. Great idea, if my attempt frm doing them frm scratch fails ill def be buying some of that! X
kalamu
Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:05 pm 
Post subject:
Go on to bbc.co.uk/iplayer and look for nigella lawsons christmas programme.
You want the one entitled deep freeze. She makes mince pies from scratch, about 4 mins in to the programme. on the same page it should have a list of the recipes so you can write down or print it out.
It's nice to watch how she does it too though.
I'm going to attempt them this weekend!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular